Reconditioned Chainsaws? What's The Deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bought 2 Husqvarna 435 refurbs from Northern Tool. Both saws were like brand new and both work great. I will buy more without hesitation. Northern Tool typically has a big logging sale every year and I combine the coupons they always send me I got my two refurb saws cheap ($159).

Mesupra, is it a Rancher? What is the difference between a Rancher and non Rancher 450 anyway?
Rancher is just Husqvarna's class system that this saw is categorized in. If you are hell bent on Husky 450 for the money Id jump up to the 455 Rancher then. It has a little more power/ 2 bar bar retaining mounts compared to one. Side chain tensioner/ adjustable oil pump. Most come dressed in a 20" bar. I loved mine when I had it and you can pick one up cheap. I wouldn't be too concerned over the refurbs as long as you buy from a reputable seller such as Northern.

Rancher is just Husqvarna's class system that this saw is categorized in. If you are hell bent on Husky 450 for the money Id jump up to the 455 Rancher then. It has a little more power/ 2 bar bar retaining mounts compared to one. Side chain tensioner/ adjustable oil pump. Most come dressed in a 20" bar. I loved mine when I had it and you can pick one up cheap. I wouldn't be too concerned over the refurbs as long as you buy from a reputable seller such as Northern.
Thanks for the info. What about Flea bay?
Also why so many Husqvarna?
Which saw in a Husqvarna would compare, weight wise, power wise with a Sthil 026? Which one the Sthil or the Husky would be better saw?
I kinda like the Echo 490.
Mostly I use the 026 and the Sthil 029 saving the Echo C's 310 for small stuff and the Echo 590 for the bigger stuff. I weighed the Sthil 026 with bar and half full of gas. 14.1 lbs. My 024 Sthil weighs about the same but cuts slower. The 026 with 18 inch bar is excellent for flush cutting Stumps. I would like a new saw similar so I could clean the old Sthil and retire it. Thing is over 20 years old. It's in need of a new gas line and I'm not ready to work on a saw because right now I want to keep cutting. It's gotten hard to start so Monday I'll have to use another saw because I'm to old to wear myself out messing with it. I kinda want 2 saws in that size and power. A back up saw. Some 50cc saws are to heavy. Any recommendations ? I've never run an Echo 400 but I'd surmise it can't keep up with the Sthil 026. There is no Northern Tools store in miles of Dubberly, La. that I know of or I'd go look. Thanks.

If you like the 310 and 590 you'll like the 490. I'll put mine on the scale ready to run so you have an idea how it compares to the 026.

@Wow, all my saws are now Husky because I was tired of being woken up in the middle of the night breaking up the 441 and the 576xp, so the 441 was sent down the road. Lol But all kidding aside for me, I like the way the Husky saws are designed, ease to work on, availability / price of parts oem or aftermarket and oh yeah..the way they cut.
Stihl parts are expensive OEM and cost a fortune for me. I find them more difficult to work on also. To me very over engineered. (Thats gonna start a fight lol)
Echos are just simple, basic, light, parts are fairly priced and available. When ever I work on my friends I am shocked at how simple and quick I can make a repair and hand it back to him almost immediately.

So tonight I couldn't sleep and having several chains to file and two carbs needing cleaning and possibly a filter and gas line to replace I needed to chill. Looking at chainsaws seems fun so I googled, refurbished chainsaws. The shock is most of what I found was, 1st. Prices so close to new prices the savings by far is not a bargain because I shop around, and 2nd. Mostly the brands were Husqvarna and tons of Poulans. I fully agree that finding a good deal on refurbished is very difficult. I considered a Echo 352, or 490. The 490 is over priced, the 352 may be a good deal if you get lucky but of course it's no longer available.
My 20+ year old Sthil 026 still screams so I won't be replacing it anytime soon guess I'll head to bed. For 50 - 100 bucks more I think new Is the best idea.
Also, before you buy check Amazon and some of the other vendors and make sure you get a full factory warranty on new saws. I read a review on Amazon and the guy said Echo will not warranty his Echo purchased off Amazon. Pay new, get a full warranty, that's my thinking. Now when the Echo 490 goes on sale for 299 + or - some I'll pick one up. Run it beside my 026 Sthil. See what happens.
You'll be surprised. I own a Stihl 026 and an Echo 490. I don't bother cranking the Sthil anymore unless I'm flush cutting stumps.
Here is what I've noticed when comparing Sthil To Echo.
First- Gloved hands fiddling with the Echo Choke isn't difficult but NOT as easy as the lever on the Sthil.
Second- the bar thickness is different.
Sthil bar is thicker than .050 and don't vibrate on the tip end as much as the .050 Echo bar tip does. You can actually see the Echo bar tip moving left and right. However, .050 guage is common and works.
The Echo Saw actually cuts amazingly well when the rakers are filed correctly, saw pulls into the wood.
Echo starts easier. Idles well.
All in all, I prefer the Echo.
Choke lever needs to be bigger. Even the old Poulan 2150 has a beefier choke lever.
Echo adjustable oiler same as Sthil.
Now another Echo.
CS 352. Has a primer bulb. Most saws with a primer bulb also have crappy gas lines. Bulbs crack, lines need replacing. But, maybe these gas lines will be ok. Mine are not that clear Fish Aquirim rubber clear looking junk my 2150 Poulan uses. However, primer bulbs say, Hone owner. But don't curse this saw until you've used it. I filed the chain, set the rakers and smoked a 42 cc Poulan with a 34cc saw. In fact I buck 14 to 15 inch trees because my 490 gets heavy working Tree tops.
The only Echo I've NOT been impressed with is the cs310. While it favorites the cs352 it's VERY different. The antivibration springs, motor, and air filter are NOT the same. I sold my 310 and the young green horn didn't keep the chain sharp and lay heavily on the saw. Now the bar flops. It was still new when I sold it. However any saw can be torn up by untrained operators. The 3 Echo saws that I use the most are the 352, 490, 590.
I do still use the Sthil 029 at times.
I'm going to adapt some Sthil bars to fit my 490. The big 28inch Echo bar on the 590 doesn't vibrate much and the 490 bar is decent. It's the little 352 bar that moves most. Here again, the word Homeowner comes to mind.
My 049 bar has that big in the middle similar to Sthil. Wider bars seem to limb with less problems.
I'm wondering if maybe a small Husky bar will fit the 352? Maybe even Poulan. I need to play in the shop.
Good day.

You'll be surprised. I own a Stihl 026 and an Echo 490. I don't bother cranking the Sthil anymore unless I'm flush cutting stumps.
Here is what I've noticed when comparing Sthil To Echo.
First- Gloved hands fiddling with the Echo Choke isn't difficult but NOT as easy as the lever on the Sthil.
Second- the bar thickness is different.
Sthil bar is thicker than .050 and don't vibrate on the tip end as much as the .050 Echo bar tip does. You can actually see the Echo bar tip moving left and right. However, .050 guage is common and works.
The Echo Saw actually cuts amazingly well when the rakers are filed correctly, saw pulls into the wood.
Echo starts easier. Idles well.
All in all, I prefer the Echo.
Choke lever needs to be bigger. Even the old Poulan 2150 has a beefier choke lever.
Echo adjustable oiler same as Sthil.
Now another Echo.
CS 352. Has a primer bulb. Most saws with a primer bulb also have crappy gas lines. Bulbs crack, lines need replacing. But, maybe these gas lines will be ok. Mine are not that clear Fish Aquirim rubber clear looking junk my 2150 Poulan uses. However, primer bulbs say, Hone owner. But don't curse this saw until you've used it. I filed the chain, set the rakers and smoked a 42 cc Poulan with a 34cc saw. In fact I buck 14 to 15 inch trees because my 490 gets heavy working Tree tops.
The only Echo I've NOT been impressed with is the cs310. While it favorites the cs352 it's VERY different. The antivibration springs, motor, and air filter are NOT the same. I sold my 310 and the young green horn didn't keep the chain sharp and lay heavily on the saw. Now the bar flops. It was still new when I sold it. However any saw can be torn up by untrained operators. The 3 Echo saws that I use the most are the 352, 490, 590.
I do still use the Sthil 029 at times.
I'm going to adapt some Sthil bars to fit my 490. The big 28inch Echo bar on the 590 doesn't vibrate much and the 490 bar is decent. It's the little 352 bar that moves most. Here again, the word Homeowner comes to mind.
My 049 bar has that big in the middle similar to Sthil. Wider bars seem to limb with less problems.
I'm wondering if maybe a small Husky bar will fit the 352? Maybe even Poulan. I need to play in the shop.
Good day.
Poulan 2300 bars will work on the 310-400 echos. They also work on the 490 if converting from 325 to 3/8lp.

Poulan 2300 bars will work on the 310-400 echos. They also work on the 490 if converting from 325 to 3/8lp.
Thanks. Got rained out today. Already behind. Have someone coming to get a load of wood Jan. 2 nd. which isnt ready yet. Trees on the ground ready to be bucked and split and I can't sleep. Think I have a Rim drive in 3/8. Not sure IF It's going to fit the 490 drum. Thanks for the info.

Thanks. Got rained out today. Already behind. Have someone coming to get a load of wood Jan. 2 nd. which isnt ready yet. Trees on the ground ready to be bucked and split and I can't sleep. Think I have a Rim drive in 3/8. Not sure IF It's going to fit the 490 drum. Thanks for the info.
20181221_100658.jpg Echo uses a small spline setup. I run a modified stihl picco rim on my 3/8 lo pro setup on my 490.

View attachment 693680 Echo uses a small spline setup. I run a modified stihl picco rim on my 3/8 lo pro setup on my 490.
Thanks, I've got a few parts that I need to go through and look at. May have something already that will work. I'd like to change the Spur to Rim on the cs352. Have a great day.

The 450 was my first new saw. Prior to that was a used 011.

Baileys had a special. Came with a box and a t shirt was pretty cheap at the time. The narrow kerf chain really ripped. Friend of mine loved it so much he asked me to order one for him and he cuts about 10 chord per year for heating. No issues for either of us.

My neighbor gave me his 445 that he got using his anniversary gift points from work. Same saw. Just a few less ccs. 18” bar as well. Wife was worried he’d hurt himself with it.

Anyway, i would not hesitate to buy it again. Although I hear great things about the echo cs 490 and 590. I may pick up a 590 so I have my 60 cc saw covered.

Back