Reconditioning the plastic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ciscoguy01

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
try

I was thinking of trying some rubbing compound, then a clearcoat... You kinda need something abrasive I believe to scuff it, then polish it... Lemme know if you find something else eh? I know on my headlights I use like a 1000 to a 1500 grit wet sanding, and then some mother's polish and it makes the plastic headlamps look brand new.

:cheers: eh?

The Lorax

The Lorax

ArboristSite Guru
I usually use brasso, I don't know what caused me to think of it in the first place. I may have had a few beers in me.:cheers:
There is a product called PC Plastic Renew it is sold as dirt bike plastic renovator , basically you sand the scratches out with fine wet and dry and then apply a clear top coat.
I am not sure if it works on saws but the plastic shouldn't be too different from the dirt bike stuff.
Apparently the finish is only as good as the work you put in.

teacherman

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
I have some weathered Stihl plastic covers that need reconditioned. There is a layer of faded plastic crust on the outside that needs sanded off. I'm assuming that will require elbow grease and progressively finer grits of wet-or-dry. Any short cuts? Possible power tool action? (me lazy) I plan to finish it with Meguiar's Plast-X (thanks Brad C.) when all is ready for polishing.
Oh, I suck at "UTFSE" (me no hi tech wiz)
me love chainsaws though:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts