Recorded Some Cuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So just running the stopwatch on my phone I'm seeing a best of 6.46 for the 550, 6.08 on the 562, and 4.65 on the 2186.

Of course the two larger saws are slinging 20 percent more chain so I'd expect times to improve commensurately if this was a true scientific test.

Eliminating chain differences is quite simple, but regardless what you do, a cutting comparison just tells what happened there and then - not what will happen in other wood and/or with other cutting attachments.

Have fun, and don't take the results more serious than they deserve! :D

Eliminating chain differences is quite simple, but regardless what you do, a cutting comparison just tells what happened there and then - not what will happen in other wood and/or with other cutting attachments.

Have fun, and don't take the results more serious than they deserve! :D
Right, this was just a guy out in the woods messing around with a cell phone camera. It was interesting to see the time difference from the 562 to 2186....lots of folks say those big saws don't cut faster in small wood ;)

The cut times aren't that much different, but the 550 is working MUCH harder to do the same work. Try pushing on the 562 as much as you were the 550 and see what happens.

Heresy.

Last week I learned that pushing on a saw slows you down 100% of the time, unless you are a toothless hillbilly who doesn't optimize raker depth to the optimal thousandth for every single cut you make.

Since svk doesn't live in a ramshackle shack, we know pushing down would slow the 562xp. It's the science of friction.

Heresy.

Last week I learned that pushing on a saw slows you down 100% of the time, unless you are a toothless hillbilly who doesn't optimize raker depth to the optimal thousandth for every single cut you make.

Since svk doesn't live in a ramshackle shack, we know pushing down would slow the 562xp. It's the science of friction.
You forgot to add, pushing down on saws to make them cut faster is for sissies.[emoji9]

You forgot to add, pushing down on saws to make them cut faster is for sissies.[emoji9]

Au contraire, it is for Norse gods and steroided-up strongman competitors. If mere mortals try to push down in order to increase speed, they will anguish from exhaustion in as few as 13.8 seconds.

Right, this was just a guy out in the woods messing around with a cell phone camera. It was interesting to see the time difference from the 562 to 2186....lots of folks say those big saws don't cut faster in small wood ;)

Again, that depends on several factors, the more obvious ones being the wood, chain, gearing and operator....

How many teeth are on the drive sprockets for the 562 and the 2186? The wood and the chain was similar and the 2186 is about 1s faster. I also saw very similar rpm, so I'm wondering how the chain speed compares.

How many teeth are on the drive sprockets for the 562 and the 2186? The wood and the chain was similar and the 2186 is about 1s faster. I also saw very similar rpm, so I'm wondering how the chain speed compares.
Probably whatever was standard. The 562 definitely hasn't been changed and not sure about the 2186

If two differerent saws have the same rpm while cutting, with the same bar, chain and sprocket,(and the same pressure, not trying to start anything) would they cut equally fast?

Just messing around while cutting wood yesterday. Propped my phone up with my gloves and ran all three saws.

This isn't posted to give one saw bragging rights but simply to see how these cut in the real world as I have them set up. In full disclosure I haven't even timed these yet. I warmed up the saws right before I started to video to make sure they weren't going off a cold start.

First saw 550xp with 16" bar and freshly sharpened (by grinder) Oregon LGX.

Second saw 562xp with 20" bar and new loop of Rotary brand chisel chain.

Third saw 2186 with 20" bar and a lightly used loop of Rotary brand chisel chain.

This is the first time I've recorded saws in action. I guess I should have moved the camera back a bit so you can actually see the saw.

The quarry was frozen aspen. It was water stained on the side opposite of the saw but was still pretty solid.

I have some real nice square ground chain that I'll run next time and swap it across all three saws for a true apples to apples comparison.

Nice. But wtf no old nitro beater in the vid.

Latest posts

Back