Red Cutleaf Japanese Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffy

Reaction score
:cry:

Hi,
I'm feeling sad and worried about my red Japanese Cutleaf Maple. I've had it for years (It's about 4 feet tall and 6 feet wide), and about a week ago, all its leaves began to curl under. There is no obvious insect presence or disease. There's no discoloration along the leaf margins, and no leaves are falling. I made a small cut through the bark of a branch and it seems alive and well.
Here in Tarrytown, NY, we had a very rainy June, a hot July and a hot humid and rainy August.
Any idea what's wrong with my tree? I don't want to sit back and watch it die, if that's what's happening.
Thanks in advance.
Linda

[email protected]

How moist is the soil around the tree? You say that you had a humid August-was the soil very wet for an extended period?

The drainage issue is the first thing I would look at too. Many maples do not like to have "wet feet". Acer palmatum is one that needs well drained, moist soil.

True Dan but since Spiffy says that there is nothing happening to the leaf margins other than overall wilting I'm inclined to think that there is something other than a Fungal or bacterial systemic infection.

Spiffy, Can you post a picture of your Maple?

Latest posts

Back