Red oak trimming question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serbcccc3

Reaction score
I have this young red oak with two trunks coming up, they are a little twisted around each other. Can I leave these like this or should one of them be cut ? I don’t really want to cut one unless I have too. Just looking into future growth and issues it might cause.
Thanks

Attachments

• DF0CFF6B-BE0D-43CD-BA55-B6F54612E5A0.jpeg
    DF0CFF6B-BE0D-43CD-BA55-B6F54612E5A0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
I'd cut the leader on the left as it looks like it's gonna rub in a couple of places unless it's just an illusion within the pic.

Replacing what? The whole tree?
Yes. If you remove one of the leaders it may be a weak point down the road. If you leave it as is the included bark may be a weak point down the road. You can replace it now and eliminate the possibility of either. Just my opinion based on many years of planting and growing trees. Or you can can come back in thirty years and debate that opinion but I probably won’t be around. That’s how you have to look at it when you plant trees, at least thirty years down the road.

If you leave both it WILL be a weak point. You can possibly significantly reduce one then remove it later. Post a couple more pictures.

Option 2: oak is really good about developing a root system and they sprout very well. If you cut that flush to the ground just before bud break in the spring it will sprout back. Probably more than 1 trunk. Leave all of them for a season then cut all but the straightest next fall. By the end of 2022, your new tree will likely be as tall as the current one, and straight as an arrow.

I have this young red oak with two trunks coming up, they are a little twisted around each other. Can I leave these like this or should one of them be cut ? I don’t really want to cut one unless I have too. Just looking into future growth and issues it might cause.
Thanks
Same answer as ATH. But JTM also has an option.
If you do it now, then in 30 years you'll be happy you did.

Latest posts

Back