red sunset maple vs. autumn blaze maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chase

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am considering one of these two maples as the main tree in our front yard, any opinions on which would be a better choice?

maple to plant

I don't know what it's going on in your part of the country but out here autumn blaze maple is being WAY over planted so I would go with the red sunset.

I did 2 autumn blaze and they are OK, but I'm more of a sugar maple guy. The autumn blaze leaves look too much like a silver maple until they turn.

We have several older (probably close to 100 yr) Maple Trees on my property. The Maple trees are a mix of silver and sugar. We get the twirly seeds in the spring by the bucket full. If you would like to plant your own, let me know and I will send you some of the seeds. The sprouts are quite hardy, I have to pull them out of most everywhere. The local squirrels and chipmonks just love these trees and all the seeds that they drop, I swear theyre feed for months off them.

I am a bit concerned with those little twirly things! I hate to have them everywhere on the house and yard.

I am a bit concerned with those little twirly things! I hate to have them everywhere on the house and yard.

Go for the Autumn Blaze - they are hybrids and therefore produce little to no seed pods, so they don't make a mess. I have two of them, neither have produced any seed the past 2-3 years. I also have a Sunset Red Maple that produces seeds every other year, one reason why it's planted further from my house (about 110' away).

Latest posts

Back