Reducing wear and tear on turf

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTS

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I had some time to surf the net today in search of ways to make life easier at work. I wanted something that would allow less number of trips on a yard.

Let me give you an example. When loading out the logs and or cut to firewood length logs from a back yard you will make many trips. If you are luck you can fit your loader back there but then the yard gets tore up from in and out traffic. A two wheel cart wears you down so what is the solution.

I think this might be it with a little modification.

http://www.skid-steer-attachments.net/dumping_hopper.htm

if the hopper sat flat on the ground it would lower the top making it easier to throw into and if you built one of these you would make it so the front hinged down making a ramp to role the larger heavier logs in first and then close it up and hand toss the rest in. You could hall about 5-6 skid loader buckets in one trip and with a large skid loader it would easily handle it. Or when raking up when you are done we will fill a large garbage can 10 times, with this one stop and you are done, so you may have only driven in 2 times and saved yourself a lot of time waiting for the cart or garbage can to get back and a lot of energy not having to haul it out by hand.

Thoughts???

I think you are too quick to dismiss a wheelbarrow. I've used the 2 wheel wheelbarrows from Home Depot for years. Stable, easy to roll and hard to tip. They carry twice what a regular wheelbarrow will and you buy a new one every year for $100.

Oh and they fit through a 36" gate.

I'll admit it. Lazy is my middle name. Or maybe I just like re-inventing the wheel:confused: I am always looking for ways to make our lives easier. My dad always got mad at me growing up, accusing me of re-inventing the wheel. I told him if it wasn't for guys like me we would still be driving like the Flinstones.:laugh:

The two wheel wheelbarrow works and works well, if you can get the log lifted and into it. I am thinking of bigger stuff i guess. The stuff you have to use the two wheel cart to get out. And as long as this hoper is there for the big stuff, might as well throw on the little stuff.

Just my opinion

I like the idea, now all I need is a loader :cry:
I'm the same way, work smart not hard. Efficiency is the key in this kind of work IMO.

I have put some thought into whether or not this would require another truck or how much more equipment will be needed at the jobsite using this, and I don't think any. The loader is probably already planned to be there, and the only other attachment is the grapple bucket which can be put on the trailer before the skid. If you are planning on taking out a saveable log.

Also, if you have another crew at a smaller removal, you could drop off the bin with them and go on to your other job where you use the loader for something else, have your first crew chip brush and move on to another job without having to hump out the wood, then pick up the bin at the end of the day. Just a thought.

Your right and multiple units could be another option. I think if you had to buy them they would be expensive but building your own wouldn't be bad at all.

Not finding a wheelbarrow to suit my purpose, I made my own. We load up all the gear in it and can generally take all we need in one move. Ice chest, ropes, climbing gear, 3 saws, gas can, oil, 6 ft. poles and even the 12 ft. straight ladder all fit one time. It will also fit three 32 gal. trash cans all filled with rakings. We use it to move about 4 times the amount of brush one guy can carry. Great for logs and it will fit through a 32 inch gate. At lunch time we use it as a bench by removing all but one of the side boards (need a backrest). The wheelbarrow flatbed part can easily be removed from the wheels and frame part by 4 wingnuts to make it real compact if needed to put in the truck.

The pictures I have show it with my Alpine Magnum loaded on it. I would go out and take pictures of it with all gear and how 3 trash can easily fit on it, but it is raining and I'm sure you can see how it would work. I would like to learn how to weld aluminum, then my next one would be a lot lighter. This one weighs about 50 lbs.

I like how ya think, Koa.

I put mine together a few years ago using scrap metal, spare parts and 1-1/2" oak for the deck. The pull handle came off an aerobic rowing machine, the wheels from a wheelbarrow, casters from an industrial cart and the inner wheels and secondary axel from a kids red flyer wagon. It was a prototype, but worked so well I've not gotten around to upgrading it.

The sucker is heavy as heck, but is made to carry heavy weights over uneven terrain.

Like Koa, the next version will be of aluminum, as soon as my wife lets me buy an aluminum MIG welder. The design will change, dropping the bed right down onto the axel, rather than up above it. The tail will extend back further, making the bed longer. Also, I hope to knock the weight way down.

The inner, smaller wheels are set 1 -2 cm above the level of the outer wheels. When the weight of the load squashes the pneumatic wheels, the inner, solid wheels take it on and the load limit seems to be beyond wherever I've taken it yet. The big front casters are really nice for controlling the thing.

TM,
I also have a heavy duty cart almost like the one you made. It is capable carrying about 2000 lbs and has four 10 inch pneumatic tires. That cart is 6 ft. long and 34 inches wide, so it will need a 36 inch gate to pass through. My cart weighs about 80 lbs and although it will hold a lot more than my wheelbarrow, we don't use it as much, mainly because the size and weight coupled with the fact that I have some stuff stored on it. My friend used it to move a piano and said it made it real easy.

Last edited:
skwerl said:
I think you are too quick to dismiss a wheelbarrow. I've used the 2 wheel wheelbarrows from Home Depot for years. Stable, easy to roll and hard to tip. They carry twice what a regular wheelbarrow will and you buy a new one every year for $100.

Oh and they fit through a 36" gate.
Must be nice, we have the same one for about 3 years. Ya sure It's been used to protect samll trees form falling tops, stumped about 4 times, and tires keep going flat every day, And i'm not sure if it wheebel or wobbles when we use it for anything else but sometimes it's hard to let go!:D

Latest posts

Back