reg or premium for Husky 61?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRT-Tech

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i was looking on the Chainsaw collectors site http://tinyurl.com/vcljl , at the specs on the venerable Husky 61 saw. The site says that the Husky 61 fuel type is REGULAR. I had heard this too from the Husky dealer, and several other Husky sites. Yet everyone here says to run premium......

thoughts?

i run prem in ALL my saws. even if its a poulan it gets prem. last time i tried regular was in a husky 181 i used to run. ran like crap and rattled like it was going to explode. put prem back in and she ran like a champ with no horrible sounds or lack of power. that was enough proof for me.

I've heard that the cheaper, smaller Poulans, like say a 2000, require the regular 87 octane fuel. I use the premium in my more expensive engines.

BTW I do already run premium, but if i dont have to i wont, cuz premium up here is .30 cents more a liter than reg. gets pricy.

SRT-Tech said:
BTW I do already run premium, but if i dont have to i wont, cuz premium up here is .30 cents more a liter than reg. gets pricy.

lets see, if we assume you saw aprox 10 tankfulls a month, it will be ~5liters of gas, so it costs whopping 1,5 dollars more...

and considering saws run better on premium, its not worth using low octane gas...

10 tanks a month? i wish..... try ten tanks+ a day, 1 pint each time. Run saw all day, split all afternoon, stack in the evening. vroom vroom vroom.

I guess my question is:

WHY does Husky recomend Reg fuel, when everyone is so against it?? is there some reason they would recomend using Reg?

Don't know where the huskys sold in Northern America are build. If they are build in Europe and they recommend regular, that means between 92 and 94 octane while premium means 98 octane. This is what we buy over here at the gas station, well at least here in Holland.

Feed all my saws regular.:blob2:

now that makes the most sense of all the posts on the reg/premium gas issue!

here in Canada premium is 94 octane (Chevron), and regular is 87 Octane.

my saw was made in Sweden ( :) almost 28 years ago too!!), so premium it is!

SRT-Tech said:
i was looking on the Chainsaw collectors site http://tinyurl.com/vcljl , at the specs on the venerable Husky 61 saw. The site says that the Husky 61 fuel type is REGULAR. I had heard this too from the Husky dealer, and several other Husky sites. Yet everyone here says to run premium......

thoughts?
Regular over here is 95 octane, 91 also at some gas stations - premium is 98.

Back