Relatively new Stihl Ms271 smoking around clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is possible it never got out of the starting throttle mode (high idle?)-it was difficult to tell if the master control lever was fully in the "normal run position" or "starting throttle position" after I blipped it-it was kind of between the lines. I have never heard this saw startup before so I wasn't familiar with the throttling startup sounds it should or should not be making.

I see nowhere in the manual mention of the term "high idle". It seems to me if you have a time bomb in your hands when the master control lever is in the starting throttle position (high idle?), and if it isn't crystal clear when it is in the normal operating position, they should either tell you not to startup with the chain brake on or at least give some type of warning in the manual that you have a time bomb in your hands that is melting down unless you are successful in getting it out of throttle mode within a minute or so if the chainbrake is on.

Does anyone know of a saw in the $400 range that will shut itself down when it hits a critical temperature so it doesn't catastrophically fail, or is made of metal instead of plastic?
Shut down, none that I know of. Metal cases, most all pro grade saws. Husqvarna 550,562,572,372,365,390,395,3120 and others.

It is possible it never got out of the starting throttle mode (high idle?)-it was difficult to tell if the master control lever was fully in the "normal run position" or "starting throttle position" after I blipped it-it was kind of between the lines. I have never heard this saw startup before so I wasn't familiar with the throttling startup sounds it should or should not be making.

I see nowhere in the manual mention of the term "high idle". It seems to me if you have a time bomb in your hands when the master control lever is in the starting throttle position (high idle?), and if it isn't crystal clear when it is in the normal operating position, they should either tell you not to startup with the chain brake on or at least give some type of warning in the manual that you have a time bomb in your hands that is melting down unless you are successful in getting it out of throttle mode within a minute or so if the chainbrake is on.

Does anyone know of a saw in the $400 range that will shut itself down when it hits a critical temperature so it doesn't catastrophically fail, or is made of metal instead of plastic?

It's not a time bomb, the user must understand what's going on during the startup procedure. You need to start the saw with the brake on for safety. Starting it at high idle with no brake is dangerous. Then you need to immediately blip the throttle and hear the saw drop to isn't. Immediately, not "within a minute". Any saw left at full throttle with the brake on will be damaged. It's like sitting in your car with the brakes pressed and the accelerator to the floor.

Unfortunately what this sounds like to me is user error. It'd have been avoided if the dealer showed you how to start it safely, but that didn't happen. Regarding the master switch, it doesn't matter where the symbols are. There's 4 positions. Squeeze trigger and push it down to choke. Pull till it fires, raise the switch to high idle, pull till it runs, squeeze trigger so the rooms drop. Takes some familiarity, but then it's second nature.

After you make saw 'fire' on choke mode, you then put the switch (master control) down to run position. This automatically sets the throttle into 'fast idle' mode or 'half throttle' or 'high idle'. Then you start the saw and its like the throttle is half pressed so the engine is running much faster than when idling @2800rpm. Its up to you at this point to blip the throttle which disengages 'fast idle' and let's the saw return to idle speed. My guess is you didn't do this and walked around with the saw on fast idle with the brake on. The smoke was going to come, plastic was due to be melted, funny looks from the dealer were now set in motion. Unless....your dealer set the idle so high which I don't think is even possible with the throttle butterfly opening range that the idle screw allows. We kinda presume some of this as its a new saw with a possible unfamiliar operator. The fact you thought the smoke was normal burning off of grease sorta tells us something?...Its fixable, & shouldn't be too expensive. Sorry your new saw experience felt like a SOS smoke flare in your hands.

Back