Reliable snowsuit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJPATRIOT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was not sure where to post this question so figured it may pertain to someone who works outside in the winter. Well I have worn a Spiewak snowsuit issued from my employer for the last five years. Last month it was stolen out of my vehicle and I have been looking for a good snowsuit that I can work in. The one I had was not bulky and Spiewak no longer makes snowsuits. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks
Jeff

I use one of the Cabela's Iditirod snow suits, go won't get cold or wet for sure, I also have a pair of their waterproof goose down coveralls as well. Cabela's makes outstanding outerwear, and it's sized big, so it's loose enough to work in.

Just picked up carharts extreem bibs and coat. Waterproof, tuff as nails and very warm.
Extreem series has a Nylon shell, not the cotton duck. Got the set for just under 2 bills with shipping.

Comment on Carhartt Extreme

I ordered one of the Carhartt Extreme jackets - the black one with a hood. It is worth the $ as it does keep out the cold and wind. These are lined with the Arctic Quilt and water resistant Nylon Shell. This jacket is much lighter in weight than my other Canvas Duck Carhartt jackets.

Nosmo

Drive by any construction site in the winter and the workes will all be wearing Carharts. There is a darn good reason and it is because they are the best. tough, warm and been around for a long time. I even have bibs and a coat that I ski in. Keeps me toasty, and I have tons of pockets for all manner of supplies I need to pack with me (screwdriver, wax, hand warmers, toe warmers, food, drinks, medicine, extra gloves, etc). I am a virtual walking hardware store with my Carharts on.

Money smart,, Carhartt

Time as a derrickhand with a few winter night shifts under my belt, wind chill at 50 to 60 below ZERO Carhartt is the only bib and coat that that I will ware after the thermometer hits 0 and below.

Above 0 I ware any cheap Chinese made JUNK it's easy to toss as the coat and bib cost is under $100.00.

In my opinion the Carhartt made of nylon is money well spent and will last for years in the woods.

Time as a derrickhand with a few winter night shifts under my belt, wind chill at 50 to 60 below ZERO Carhartt is the only bib and coat that that I will ware after the thermometer hits 0 and below.

Above 0 I ware any cheap Chinese made JUNK it's easy to toss as the coat and bib cost is under $100.00.

In my opinion the Carhartt made of nylon is money well spent and will last for years in the woods.
+1. Carhartt is worth every penny.:chainsaw:

+1. Carhartt is worth every penny.:chainsaw:

I could not find winter coveralls made by Carhart so I recently had to surrender and get a knockoff brand. Man am I disappointed! Left leg is longer than the right one, they are not as warm by alongshot, and the neck collar and hood chew at my upper body like a derranged rat! The way the hood fits around my chin along with the collar is horrible. I need to find a local supplier of the coveralls where I can try them on to make sure I get the right size.

Spiewak?

The nylon insulated snow bibs with the Sidearm/pocket access slots that overlap and velcro closed right?

Get ahold of Galls.
Lion and a couple others make similar snow bibs and Galls will have them.

For a while I took care of Uniforms and equipment for the last outfit I worked for, and Galls beats about all of 'em. Ours would get issued, and then the gang would hang them up to dry in a common area only to "Walk off", so we would go through 20K bucks worth of snivel gear annually.

If you aren't too concerned with the whole industrial look, Carhart is darn near impossible to beat. Berne and the TSC brand aren't too bad as a cheapo option, but they suck on attention to details like Curly mentioned.

I'm currently wearing holes in a TSC insulated Jumper that's OK, but it lacks the room/pleats to keep it from binding up when bending over or sitting, and chokes the crap outta ya half the time if it's zipped all the way up.

I can't wait till it's oil soaked and shredded enough to get another Carhart,
but can't complain as it was a gift from the MIL.
Last Carhart Bibs I had literally got burned by the wife, because she washed them without removing the duct tape and made a mess in the dryer..so she got rid of 'em in a way I couldn't rescue them.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Overalls versus Coveralls

As I mentioned a few posts I have a Carhartt extreme arctic lined jacket with a nylon shell. I don't really have to get out and work (retired) when the weather is really bad.

But when I do I prefer overalls (insulated) over coveralls (insulated). I can put more upperbody clothing on with the overalls. If I begin to warm up I can take a layer off.

It's just a preference for me. Others like coveralls better.

Nosmo

New Jersey can certainly be cold and I really like the carhart line. I live in NE PA and find it rare that I need the extreme stuff. It usually stays in the closet because it is too warm. While I have carhart stuff, (did I mention that I like carhart), it is not the only suit out there. A few years ago I bought a suit made by Bercowear, about 60% of carhart and thus far just as durable. I also have a lighter weight suit by ####ies that has seen a lot of use and it still very serviceable. OK filter will not let me type the name, but the part before" ies" would kind be referred to as a male apendage. Thank goodness for those filters!

Last edited:
+1 for the Carhart Extreme coveralls. They are tough, warm and they don't soak up water like my old Rothco ones did. I only wear them on the really bad days but when it's cold and your laying on the ground under a piece of equipment they sure are handy. One observation on the suit is that the air exchange needs to be improved. If you eat something that makes you fragrant it stays in the suit with you for a long time. Perhaps a battery operated personal air exchanger strategically located close to the source. ;-)

Great Responses

Thanks for your opinions. The brand may have been Spiwak. I have seen the American Airline workers use them at the airport. They have a wearhouse full of them but will not sell their inventory. I will have to try on some Carhartt products. I work by the docks alot where it is windy and wet. Thanks again for the posts!
Jeff

I'm really surprised that no one mentioned Filson. Don't get me wrong, I love Carhartt. I wear their pants almost every day, but when it comes to working out in inclement weather I prefer a layer or two of high quality polypro under a set of tin pants. I actually like the shelter cloth/tin combo pants they make the best. A stray limb doesn't rip them like it would the nylon, and I don't have to worry about embers from my lunch fire burning holes in them.. Pricey, but they last and work..

Sportsmansguide has a very warm one...

I have these and if you want to really be hot you might give these a try. Very durable and extremely warm. I really like the padded knees and the hood has the flexible wire in it for a custom fit. Plenty of pockets and adjustable enclosures. Very good bargain for the price. Worth looking at.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-ice-suit.aspx?a=494858

You may want to look into refrigiwear. I used them for 10 years working in a -20* freezer and had no complaints. I have a set now that I cant use much because i get way to hot in them even when its 10* out they are too much. Check them out www.refrigiwear.com

I wear the Carhartt overalls and love them. But I find that they are too warm. Unless it's below 20 degrees, I can't wear pants under them. I typically just wear underwear.

I can see those things working very well in below zero temps.

Latest posts

Back