Relining old clutch shoes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galde

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Vintage clutch shoes often were made with brake-lining-type material bonded to the metal shoes. With all the new miracle adhesives we have, has anyone sucessfully rebuilt clutch shoes that have shed their linings? Once the linings are gone, the shoes are too small to properly contact the clutch drum at the design RPM's.

i put back on a lining from an 051 that had come off. Did it will some scotch brite pads and an adhesive from 3M called 1300. seemed to work, didn't use the saw a whole though to get a good endurance test.

from earlier thread on this forum:
"http://www.mcmaster.com/

Search for "Clutch Lining." They sell clutch lining material 1-inch wide for $2.38 per foot. Various thicknesses available. Semi-metallic or non-metallic. The only downside is that the minimum thickness is 3/16," so you'll have to sand it down to get it to the right thickness. Wear a mask if you do that, and do it outside. Glue the sanded surface to the shoe.

I called them to ask which adhesive to use, and got transferred to a guy who sounds like he knows what he's talking about. He said his customers have excellent results with Lock-Tite epoxy (Color: aluminum). This epoxy is rated to a maximum of 300 degrees, and takes 72 hours to fully cure."

The McMaster site offers different types of material, they say high friction offers immediate engagement. They also have metal free and high strength. Anyone have any info on type to use?

There are a number of companies that reline clutches, brakes and other friction components. I'm sure they would know what adhesive would be effective. I'm thinking 300 degrees wouldn't be high enough if that is anywhere close to the failing point. That's about half the temp your local pizza shop bakes your pizza at. I've seen clutches get pretty hot.
Wasn't all that long ago that all brake shoes got relined but it's only done now for larger vehicles or rare stuff. Remember when you had to turn in your old shoes for cores and they'd dock ya if they went down to metal damaging the steel portion? It's a lot easier to throw them in the scrap bin for recycling.

Latest posts

Back