Reloading bench made from pine.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardhat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
enu4yzes.jpg
nu8u8uba.jpg
esy6ugyt.jpg

Figured I would share. Had some pine trees close to house that we cut several years ago. Milled into lumber and have used to make shooting bench. Shooting stand and repair woodshed. Got a shopsmith mark v planer and jointer and made this reloading bench. Lots of work. But is cool to have finished product that looks good that started as problem trees in the yard.

It is not perfect, but best I could do with the amount of time and experience I have at doing stuff like this. Happy with it. After all it is a reloading bench and will not stay perfect anyway.

Wood does have some grayish discoloration from insect damage I guess in some places, but just adds to character

Nice work! Around here, something like that would wind up in the kitchen, and I'd have to start over. What are you reloading?

That's a good looking bench!

Wood does have some grayish discoloration from insect damage I guess in some places

Looks like it's what we call "Blue Stain" in SYP (Southern Yellow Pine) here in the south. It's a pretty common effect left from a fungus that develops in the fiber after it is exposed to air on most SYP. A lot of the high yield production mills I've been around in central and south Alabama have issues with it. Most the time it occurs when you don't get the lumber in the kiln quick enough to kill the spores before they spread.

It doesn't affect the wood structurally in anyway, it is just aesthetic. It drops commercial lumber down a grade usually.

Nice bench, I built my present one, out of an ash tree I harvested out back... I left mine rustic though...

SR

Back