Remedy for poisen ivy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I know about jewelweed is it was found in moist or wet areas. I don't know all the different ways that it can be used but we use to just break the stem open and rub the juices onto the affected area. I remembered it giving quick relief.

What I have used is the blue gel cold muscle rub I think it has a lot of menthal in it maybe it just masks it but it sure helps

running it under the hottest water you can tolerate is the most amazing itch relief you will ever feel, and it takes the itch away for hours. I keep the steroid pills ointment on hand to make it go away fast. small spots get the ointment, bad news get the pills. try the hot water. you will thank me

running it under the hottest water you can tolerate is the most amazing itch relief you will ever feel, and it takes the itch away for hours. I keep the steroid pills ointment on hand to make it go away fast. small spots get the ointment, bad news get the pills. try the hot water. you will thank me

X2 on the hot water, hotter the better (4 -6 hr relief) & almost orgasmic feeling as histamines leave your skin. always air dry!
best over the counter is original TEC-NU, massage it in & wear it off, sooner applied the better but even for blistered skin it dries out the oils in day or 2.

We have poison oak out here, but it does the same thing. All I have to do is look at it, to get it. If I get exposed I start feeling it almost immediately. I hate the stuff. I fought wild fires for about 7 years and would get it 10 or 15 times a year out on the line. Been hospitalize several times with it. Get it enough you build a tolerance for the season.
Anyway I've tryed everything(except that jewelweed), laundry soap seemed to help some, bleach helped a little, but these days if I'm exposed I go straight to the doctor and get a shot of prednisone. It'll start getting better with in hours. Why suffer. Get the shot.

Scratch it up with a brello pad and pour some laquer thinner on a rag and rub it in there real good. Its gonne burn real bad for a minute but will be dried out in about an hour and a half. Thatsbwhat my dad always did to me. It works

Rhus Tox.

Search online, buy some.

It is nothing more than sugar pills dosed with tiny amounts of the irritant that causes the rashes. You eat it, nothing bad happens to your throat, mouth. or stomach. Do this every day, year in year out, until you are immune to the stuff.

It won't help much if you have a rash now, but start taking it now to prevent or reduce future rashes.
That has helped me. Used to get it terrible. I haven't taken it in ptrobasbly 10-12 years, but still only get a tiny pact now and then, and I am it often in the woods

is this jewelweed trick real or are you pulling our chains (as in make it worse)?

Jewelweed juice feels cool/relieving on the skin temporarily. I haven't found it to do anything beyond that...but it does feel good for the moment.

beer will help with the suffering. that technu stuff will stop it if you catch it in time. Also wash all gear exposed to the poison with a lot of technu.

Scratch it up with a brello pad and pour some laquer thinner on a rag and rub it in there real good. Its gonne burn real bad for a minute but will be dried out in about an hour and a half. Thatsbwhat my dad always did to me. It works
I use a piece of concrete and peroxide it cuts it open but it takes the itch away. Same idea as you are using sort off.

He explained how to use the jewel-weed/touch-me-not. It grows along the creek banks in va as well tramsdell. I was mowing a cemetery that I manage and talked to an old man up there one day. He wanted to tell me about the person who comes to repay his respect to. There was a VPTI graduate, known as VA TECH now because of politics, sports etc... Anyways it was witnessed that this man carried 26 injured people to safety, who knows how many he carried unwitnessed. It was D-DAY in Normandy, he saved a lot of lives but had lost his that day. They presented his family with the Purple Heart and numerous medals. Makes me tear up thinking about the old man tear up. But as I helped him clear off the grave site, some poison oak came into sight. That's when he told me all about the touch-me-not and invited me to his house to get some at any time of need. Scientist have been trying to match a formula for this stuff and can't break the code. Oh wait they don't want to cause it grows near people's houses and won't be able to make any money off of it. Anyways thought I would share my story.

Also "cortaid poison ivy care" (removal scrub) is good to carry in case you think you got into some. If you catch it in the early stage and rub this stuff in like the directions say, then you might be okay, it works better than most stuff I've ever bought. And if you get it and it keeps spreading we'll quit working up a sweat, sweat is dangerous to spread into your eyes and balls. Nooooooo man wants either of those areas itching!!

I use bleach. The burning means its working.

No, the burning means your skin is burning due to contact with a corrosive chemical. Out of all the advice for poison ivy remedies, pouring corrosive chemicals on your skin is probably the dumbest. Don't forget to scrub it with a rusty wire brush, that way you really feel the burn.

Latest posts

Back