Remington 754 Info Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubv1980

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all..
I'm new here....
I just bought myself a Remington 754 at an auction, and the pull starter is not turning the flywheel/motor. It looks as if there is no gearing for the teeth on the pull starter to grab into...does this type of saw just have a friction contact to turn the motor over? If anyone has any experience with old Remington saws..drop me a line back...Right now, I'm lost! I've worked on old McCullochs..but this is my first Remington. Thanks in advance, and its good to be here.

Chris

Chris: I have a couple of good-running 754 Remington saws. They use a starter made by Fairbanks-Morse that was common in the earlier saws of many brands. This is a good starter, but tricky to work on. I relies on friction washers to cause two dogs to extend outward and engage the inside surface of a cup which is attached to the flywheel. If the starter is not assembled correctly, the dogs do not extend when the starter rope is pulled. If all of the parts are present, then a simple cleaning might fix it. There are friction washers that must be cleaned of oil or grease. Does your 754 have a muffler? Mine are the loudest things that I have ever heard. The muffler is like a megaphone aimed back at the operator.

Hey...
Thanks for the ideas...I did spray it with some WD-40 when it first wouldn't engage...it doesn't look like I'm missing any parts then. The "teeth" seem to come out a little bit when the rope is pulled, but maybe not enough.
As for the muffler...I'll let you know once I get it started! I know my Mac 10-10 is a heck of a loud saw too...but this one is a good deal bigger..so it probably blows it away in the decibel department. I'll report back after messing with it some more.
By the way..do you know any good parts sources for the old Remington saws...I'm guessing the current Remington company doesn't support their old gas models.

Chris

Chris: Sounds like your starter needs a good cleaning. I use brake cleaner on the fiber friction washers and the metal surfaces they contact. I also use sandpaper to roughen the fibre washers. Make sure you reassemble correctly. The starters that I have seen that didn't work were assembled incorrectly. Note that the dogs have a sharp end and a dull end. The sharp end must engage the inside of the starter cup. This saw is 5.4 cu.in. It came with rollernose bars 18" to 23". Do not run this saw without good hearing protection! OSHA would definitely ban this saw on noise alone.

Back