Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remington S L 9

My BIL just gave me a saw to work on if I wanted to.I have only really worked on Partners so far.I have built from parts both new and old about 11 this winter and enjoyed it quite a bit. He used to work at Agway and in 1973-4 / he bought this Remington SL-9.
He ran it for many years just puttering around.One day it started to have some Idling issues as it would only idle if the chain was kept at a high rev.Which of course made it very dangerous to use, so he parked her in about 1985 and she has set ever since.
He was told it was most likely a bad seal and to just throw the saw away as it was not worth fixing. Like most Mainers he did not throw it away he even kept the ownere manual and orig tag from the store.
So now I have it and if I attempt to fix it I will need your advice.I would really like to get it going again, he told me when he put it away it ran fine but you had to keep the idle way up for it to run.
What do you think the problem may be? I was hoping it may just be a carb issue but who knows. So now I will take her to the shop and start to look it over a little.Here are 2 pictutes I would really appreceiate any advice you can give. And thanks for the help I will most likely need all you can spare. JeffView attachment 224832View attachment 224833

Remington S L 9 rebuild?

I have had time to open her up and i will post some photos ( well links sorry ) of what I have found.I will be needing a piston and maybe a cylinder there are some actually 2 scratches below the exhaust port .I am not clear if this is useable or not i will let you guys advise me.The saw after sitting since 1985 fired right up.It does need seals as well I could hear a sucking wet sound from the pto side when I got her all apart. Can i get a piston and seals at least for this saw and where do i get them.I will post as many phots as i can then I will do a reply to thread and show the rest below.Sorry I do not know how to post the actuall photo.View attachment 224893View attachment 224894View attachment 224895View attachment 224896View attachment 224897

Help is on the way.

My BIL just gave me a saw to work on if I wanted to.I have only really worked on Partners so far.I have built from parts both new and old about 11 this winter and enjoyed it quite a bit. He used to work at Agway and in 1973-4 / he bought this Remington SL-9.
JeffView attachment 224832View attachment 224833

224832d1329666977-img_0528-jpg

224833d1329667030-img_0529-jpg

Nope, we all like pictures of saw guts!

Not to worry on scratchs below the exhaust port. You will need a piston, however.

Checked Chainsawr (site sponser) but came up empty. Keep an eye on evilbay. A parts saw with good compression is another bet. Some on there now.

View attachment 224909View attachment 224910View attachment 224911

I hope all these phots dont make anyone angry with me. I just thought you may enjoy see the progression of this tear down. Hopefull someone can set these so that they are already open as I do not understand how.Thanks Jeff
224909d1329683027-img_0540-jpg

224910d1329683063-img_0541-jpg

224911d1329683101-img_0542-jpg

Last edited:
Rare Saws

I'm always watching ebay for good sales. I've had at least 15 offers to buy my Supper 990. Just wanted to let everyone know there is one for sale on ebay now. There is also a super 754. :rock:

I'm always watching ebay for good sales. I've had at least 15 offers to buy my Supper 990. Just wanted to let everyone know there is one for sale on ebay now. There is also a super 754. :rock:

Local pick up only..............................................................

Maybe someone in the New York state will latch on to it.

Ok first thanks for " opening them up " next I thought that scratches below were ok but where can i get a piston and seals? anyone got any leads?

Post the parts request on the 'Old Magnesium Swap Meet'

If you know the shaft diameter, housing bore and width, you may be able to get seals from your local auto parts store. What you want is a double lip or a single lip with garter spring.

Remington Super 75

I was just given a super 75? At least I think that is what the tag said.It is in the trunk of a co-workers car right now but will be in mine soon.I think it said super 75 anyway? It is a cream or lt gray color and an orig Rem Bar must be over 24".The engine has good feeling compression but the chain seems to be stuck to the bar as it will not slide.I will get a photo later.Not sure what I will do with her she is missing the top cover for the carb also.

Photos of the super 75

View attachment 225325View attachment 225326View attachment 225327

So here she is what do you think? It will need a top/carb cover i guess.I has good enough compression to run I think I have no idea if it has spark or not? I have not looked into it yet I still have the SL9 to complete first.
And while I am on that subject I want to repaint the SL I was thinking that some International Harvester red would be close do you guys think it would?I want somthing in a spray can. I will keep it on my Polaris Ranger for a trail saw if I can get it going.

If you know the shaft diameter, housing bore and width, you may be able to get seals from your local auto parts store. What you want is a double lip or a single lip with garter spring.

I ordered from a bearing place yesterday the seals.But the girl who measured the seal did this: she measured the outside fine but when she did the inside she put enough pressure on the calipers that she spread open the rubber skirt?I hope she did not take the mea then.I hope she let the rubber relax then took the mea but even then? I tried to give her the shaft to mea but she assured me all she needed was the seal itself.As for a piston i had my son order me a base / w piston i found on e-bay for $15.00. I just hope the piston is ok. although it is bound to be better than the one i have now,....i hope.

Dumb question but where do I find this "swap meet thing" is it here in the stickes section? I was wondering if i could search that section for specific parts like partner parts for ex? But when i tried it jut took me to every thread w/ the word partner or parts in the converastions. So is there a place i can search for certin things? and how do i do that?

Dumb question but where do I find this "swap meet thing" is it here in the stickes section? I was wondering if i could search that section for specific parts like partner parts for ex? But when i tried it jut took me to every thread w/ the word partner or parts in the converastions. So is there a place i can search for certin things? and how do i do that?

Heya Jeff -

Do this .... go to Google and type in:

searchword1 searchword2 swap meet site:arboristsite.com

Where the searchwords are (and you can use more than two) what you're actually looking for. The results will be limited to the arboristsite and limited further to the Swap Meet, pretty much ...

The technique of using Google to search arboristsite.com isn't just limted to the Swap Meet .. :msp_thumbup:

Hope this helps!

Heya Jeff -

Do this .... go to Google and type in:

searchword1 searchword2 swap meet site:arboristsite.com

Where the searchwords are (and you can use more than two) what you're actually looking for. The results will be limited to the arboristsite and limited further to the Swap Meet, pretty much ...

The technique of using Google to search arboristsite.com isn't just limted to the Swap Meet .. :msp_thumbup:

Hope this helps!

I think it may thanks if i can get the 75 to run i will need a top cover.hey what does direct drive mean no clutch i assume and how does that system work.the acers site says direct drive?

I think it may thanks if i can get the 75 to run i will need a top cover.hey what does direct drive mean no clutch i assume and how does that system work.the acers site says direct drive?

'Direct drive' is an old school reference to differentiate between 'gear drive' and 'direct drive' saws ..

Latest posts

Back