Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not me as I am full up on 75As.

I did, however, snag a Monkey Wards/Remington this evening.

View attachment 205620
attachment.php

Now the waiting begins while the USPS grinds thru its' gears.

We will be looking for an air box lid in a couple weeks.

who did you get your lid from?

PL-4 Raised from dead.

This was the parts saw I got along with my first SL-4. Had planned to scrap it out as needed but found a very nice piston and cylinder.

Got him running this morning after aquiring another parts saw.

As recieved.
attachment.php

Completed enuff to run.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The fuel filter warrents another look and we have a rim drive/clutch drum to replace the worn out spur when we gather up the proper bearing.

The 17" Rem. roller nose bar takes 62 DL of 3/8" BTW.

We have some leftover PL-5 parts needing a new home.

Remington Bantam

I got my Bantam in the mail today. I expected this to be the size of a Mighty Mite. This thing is massive, and Almost as big as my Super 990.
I can't wait to tear into this one. Does anyone have a parts list, service manual, or any helpfull hints on rebuilding these?

225561d1329960779-bantam-1-jpg

225562d1329960787-bantam-2-jpg

225563d1329960795-bantam-jpg

I got my Bantam in the mail today. I expected this to be the size of a Mighty Mite. This thing is massive, and Almost as big as my Super 990.
I can't wait to tear into this one. Does anyone have a parts list, service manual, or any helpfull hints on rebuilding these?

Bet them boys on 'Axemen' would love to pack one of them around all day.:ices_rofl:

This skinny old geezer has all he can manage with a 75A and 20" roller nose.:D

I got mine from another forum member. But, since I got a junker PL-5 off evilbay, I will end up with an extra air filter/carb. box lid.

If you are not proud of how it looks, it's yours for the postage.

Carl.

Well maybe I will do that.
I am still trying to decide if I even have the intrest to start on the old girl.I am speaking of the Super 75 I showed a picture of above .Not the SL-9, I just got the crank seals today just waiting on the used piston now and that one will be complete.

Well maybe I will do that.
I am still trying to decide if I even have the intrest to start on the old girl.I am speaking of the Super 75 I showed a picture of above .Not the SL-9, I just got the crank seals today just waiting on the used piston now and that one will be complete.

So, you are needing two carb. box lids. One for the Super 75 (P.M. 8433jeff) and one for a PL-5.

P.M. me your address for the PL-5 lid. Yours for postage.

Carl.

So, you are needing two carb. box lids. One for the Super 75 (P.M. 8433jeff) and one for a PL-5.

P.M. me your address for the PL-5 lid. Yours for postage.

Carl.

No I am sorry if I confused what I meant.Talking about two saws at once, my bad .The super 75 would need a airbox cover and probably the wire cage that holds the foam filter in place.
As for the SL-9 that does not need a cover I am all set with that one. She was owned by my bil since new and all there. I have just painted all the indivividual case parts ,and I am waiting for a piston from e-bay ( i bought a junk base w/piston ) then I can put the SL back together.
I would feel funny acepting the air cover for the Super 75 as I am not sure yet if I even want to do the restoration, on that saw. I may just sell it if sombody was interested .I still havent made up my mind yet. She is pretty old and not sure I posess the paitence for a project like it.

I expected this to be the size of a Mighty Mite.

I made the same mistake one time. Drove to a far away auction to get it. Turned out to be a Mighty Mite Bantum. I bought it and my SL 4 there. Love auctions. Also brought home a stack of Kelly Forge axes from that one.

A tad dissapointed.

Left out the base gasket (.025-.030 thick) on my PL-4 when I put in the new rings. After a short run time I get 135 psi. I was looking for something north of 150. Maybe the port timing or the very low C.R. has something to do with it.

Also, Should I go to regular 3/8" chain on my SL-10A? It showed up with a 15" hard nose and 3/8 L.P.. It could use the rakers taken down some more as they are well short of .025".

At only 4 cc short of my Homie XL-101's I expected more of it.

Maybe some previous owner put the L.P. on him.

Last edited:
SL/PL fuel tank vent.

Looking for a source for the fuel tank vent/check on the PL/SL series of saws. The one on my reciently completed PL-4 is hopelessly clogged up. It was making the engine run lean/race after a short cutting effort. I may have to use the vent/check from an early Homie XL-101 for now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looked thru all my IPL's and cannot find it called out even.

My SL 9 FIASCO BROKE 3 RINGS TRYING TO REINSTALL THE PISTON "HELP ?"

I am not having any luck re-instaling the piston. The saw had a destroyed piston when i got it so I went to e-bay to buy a junk one for the piston .I did that and it arrived today i took off that piston and rings and went to put them on my sl9. I got the piston all on and the rings in then went to put the cylinder on the piston.
Thats when it all went bad,I did not relalize that the oil tank prevents you from having an un-obstructed grip on the piston to collaspe the rings together so they would allow me to slip the piston into the cylinder.I could not for the life of me get the rings squeeszed enough to get the piston started in. So i tried to squeeze the rings as much as i could and start the cylinder kitty cornered like I do on my Partners and snap 1 ring gone.I have 3 rings left now. I try again and this time I also try to gently push in the ring a little at a time with a small screwdriver and snap 2 rings gone. Now I have 2 rings left, take a break and oil up the cylinder lip real good and try again and snap 3 rings gone now I am done, I guess as i only have 1 ring left.
What do I do next? I am very discouraged While I waited for the e-bay saw I sanded and painted the housing it looks great but how do you get the damn rings to collaspe enough to go into the cylinder? With any other saw you can get all the way around the piston and cylinder but because of the way this oil tank is made you cannot. Is there a trick when you are dealing with these remingtons? and how do you deal with 2 of these rings ? and if you can help me where can I get more rings? Thanks Jeff

Looking for a source for the fuel tank vent/check on the PL/SL series of saws. The one on my reciently completed PL-4 is hopelessly clogged up. It was making the engine run lean/race after a short cutting effort. I may have to use the vent/check from an early Homie XL-101 for now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looked thru all my IPL's and cannot find it called out even.

I just bought a junk sl9 would that have what you need ? if so tell me and you can have it.I am very discouraged about what I am tryng to do myself maybe I can be a help to you.

New rings for PL/SL-4.

The rings I got off evilbay (46mm x 1.5mm) fit perfect. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Jeff:

All I ever use to install rings are my fingers and a wood popsicle stick. Bare crankcase (no tank) chucked up in my bench vise. Start the cylinder down over the butt gap at the locator pin and work your way around. Do not twist the cylinder but very little to line up the studs.

I've broken rings before............................................................................:bang:

View attachment 226609View attachment 226610View attachment 226611
The rings I got off evilbay (46mm x 1.5mm) fit perfect. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Jeff:

All I ever use to install rings are my fingers and a wood popsicle stick. Bare crankcase (no tank) chucked up in my bench vise. Start the cylinder down over the butt gap at the locator pin and work your way around. Do not twist the cylinder but very little to line up the studs.

I've broken rings before............................................................................:bang:

Ok I will check the bay thanks , now I may be wrong but I dont think you can get just a crank case w/out the oil tank? I think it is all one part or am i wrong I guess I will have to go look .As far as the butt cap and locator pin? What is the but cap and I have no locator pins on these pistons if that is what you mean.In the mean while i will go look and post you a picture of my saw base. On close inspection no the oil tank and crank case are all one casting not 2 sepratable sections.

Last edited:

Jeff:

can you tell me what you type in to find these rings? I cannot find them.Thanks I may have found some for Husky 55 and some other I do have a question could i use a 46mm single ring piston kit from e-bay?

Last edited:
View attachment 226609View attachment 226610View attachment 226611

Ok I will check the bay thanks , now I may be wrong but I dont think you can get just a crank case w/out the oil tank? I think it is all one part or am i wrong I guess I will have to go look .As far as the butt cap and locator pin? What is the but cap and I have no locator pins on these pistons if that is what you mean.In the mean while i will go look and post you a picture of my saw base. On close inspection no the oil tank and crank case are all one casting not 2 sepratable sections.

U R right, I just looked at my SL-10 IPL. Makes it akward to deal with, like a Homie XL-101.

Sent you a P.M. on the rings. Use 43mm in the search.

Left out the base gasket (.025-.030 thick) on my PL-4 when I put in the new rings. After a short run time I get 135 psi. I was looking for something north of 150. Maybe the port timing or the very low C.R. has something to do with it.

Also, Should I go to regular 3/8" chain on my SL-10A? It showed up with a 15" hard nose and 1/4". It could use the rakers taken down some more as they are well short of .025".

At only 4 cc short of my Homie XL-101's I expected more of it.

Maybe some previous owner put the L.P. on him.

Had to edit the above as we have discovered that it has 1/4" chain on it!!!!!!

Back