Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Were these pressurized tank oilers any good when working right, or just so-so?

Chris B.

Got me. My SL-11A seems to work but havn't run him enuff to know.

One thing you need to do if you disable the auto-oiler is prop open the shut off valve connected to the throttle trigger. I used a zip tie of the proper width.

attachment.php

The valve is there to prevent 'after oiling' at shutdown. Roper had a similar setup.

Last edited:
Got me. My SL-11A seems to work but havn't run him enuff to know.

One thing you need to do if you disable the auto-oiler is prop open the shut off valve connected to the throttle trigger. I used a zip tie of the proper width. The valve is there to prevent 'after oiling' at shutdown. Roper had a similar setup.

I don't believe my saw has this valve. But, then again, I haven't completely figured it out. One thing that would help is the proper IPL. I've been working off a PL7A parts list, don't have an SL7A list. Are there any out there?

Chris B.

Just discovered that the clutch and drum from a Super 660 will swap directly to the SL7A. Now I have a good clutch (shoes were loose on the rivets with my old one) and a much better condition spur. FWIW, I think I did have a pitch mis-match. The wore out spur sure looks like a 3/8 8 tooth on a .404 chain. That would explain the extreme wear.

Anybody have the part# for the Super 660 clutch? Does it match the 754?

Chris B.

Just discovered that the clutch and drum from a Super 660 will swap directly to the SL7A. Now I have a good clutch (shoes were loose on the rivets with my old one) and a much better condition spur. FWIW, I think I did have a pitch mis-match. The wore out spur sure looks like a 3/8 8 tooth on a .404 chain. That would explain the extreme wear.

Anybody have the part# for the Super 660 clutch? Does it match the 754?
Chris B.

Take a look at this thread. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/189155.htm

Maybe the larger PL/SL series used the Bantam style clutch/drum/sprocket setup.

Bantams and 660's used .404 OEM and Super 75's and 754's used 7/16". (I think)

Last edited:
I was able to meet another AS member today, pictured below is 67L36Driver and a few of the CAD saws I picked up last week. I have now managed to move along a total of 10 saws, 5 to Mweba and 5 today to Carl (a.k.a. 67L36Driver).

Here we are in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn looking over the saws I brought along on this trip.

attachment.php

And here is Carl in his garage showing off a few of his select saws.

attachment.php

Finally, here is Mrs. Carl, Barb in front of her unfinished 40 Ford. Let's all encourage Carl to get busy and get all his saws fixed, replace the battery in his '67 Corvette (sorry, I neglected to get a photo), and get Barb's car done so she can drive it around for a few years.

attachment.php

Mark

Mark:

We really enjoyed your vist with us. Next time we will go to the San Jose resturante.

I'm fairly confident the blue/white Logmaster is an SL-5 82cc Model Profile: SL-5 and the red/white Logmaster is a GL-7 105cc Model Profile: GL-7.

That white one with the Power Products engine stumps me.

Give me a shout before you leave 'River City'.

Carl.

Barn fresh runner.

This PL5 is one of the five carcasses I got from Mark. H. Tuesday.

He was stuck but, with some WD40 and a screwdriver levered in the flywheel fins he freed up. Checked compression at 110 psi and a nice blue spark. Popped on a prime so we rinsed the fuel tank and filled him up. He fired up and ran him about 15 minutes. Mounted a 16" bar and tried him in the wood but he was easy to bog. Auto-oiler even works!! Didn't touch the carb. except to slow the idle. Stack exhaust sounds great.

I think if we clean up the piston and cylinder and install some new rings we maybe get him up to 140 psi.

Thanks Mark. Keep this old geezer out of bars and taverns.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Can anybody tell me what available drums will fit my PL7A? My spur is so shot it feels like a mismatch in pitch between the chain and spur. I see several PL6 spurs on fleabay that look identical, and hopefully the seller will get back to me with measurements to confirm.

For what it's worth, my new PL7A seems to run pretty well. Of course, the check valve in the oiler elbow was gone and motor smoked like a locomotive. I used a Mac duckbill, honed out the bore on the elbow so it would fit and put it back together. Motor runs better and it seems to be oiling.

If I can find the right spur, I'll put this saw thru its paces.

Chris B.

I just got in one of the PL6 sprockets. The important dimensions match. Only problem is the bearing isn't sealed to the crankshaft like the old sprocket. I'll have to pop the old bearing and seal and match up replacements. The sprocket bore looks the same. Should be easy enough to retrofit with another bearing and seal.

Chris B.

This PL5 is one of the five carcasses I got from Mark. H. Tuesday.

He was stuck but, with some WD40 and a screwdriver levered in the flywheel fins he freed up. Checked compression at 110 psi and a nice blue spark. Popped on a prime so we rinsed the fuel tank and filled him up. He fired up and ran him about 15 minutes. Mounted a 16" bar and tried him in the wood but he was easy to bog. Auto-oiler even works!! Didn't touch the carb. except to slow the idle. Stack exhaust sounds great.

I think if we clean up the piston and cylinder and install some new rings we maybe get him up to 140 psi.

Thanks Mark. Keep this old geezer out of bars and taverns.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice going.

I have to get my PL7A into some wood this weekend just as soon as I get that awful chain sharpened.

Chris B.

attachment.php

Barn fresh PL5

His compression climbed up to 120 psi after cutting a large cookie but, his piston and rings still look like home made poo-poo.

Only rings listed by 'The Greek' in 48.5mm x 1.5mm have a horizontal notch for the locator pin. Rats! May be the only game in town.

My shipping-cost-only PL-5 arrived this AM; more info to be posted later.

If y'all would, please, hit 67L36Driver (Carl) with some rep if you're able to. TIA!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Only 60 psi and no spark but we find him very interesting.

He needs a clutch cover and whatever passes for an air filter.

Will an SL-5 air filter work?

I think the air filters are the same size and the cover that holds it in.
The clutch cover is a lot different. May be hard to find one.

181413d1303770050-scan0019-jpg

Latest posts

Back