Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice Cliff!

It is rare to see the bars underneath in the "stand" location, let alone in such good condition, they make the powerhead sit up so much higher than without them, VERY nice find indeed!

Brian

Very nice Cliff!

It is rare to see the bars underneath in the "stand" location, let alone in such good condition, they make the powerhead sit up so much higher than without them, VERY nice find indeed!

Brian

Thanks Brian.
I had to fix this stand, they were cracked and sagging when I got it.

Thanks Tom, this monster rocks!:rock:

attachment.php

Threw a 20" on there just to cut a quick cookie. Need to have a loop made for a 24" roller nose I have on hand.

My right ear hurts because I didn't notice the muffler outlet louvers were pointed up untill after I started the cut. Yikes!

Thanks Tom, this monster rocks!:rock:

attachment.php

Threw a 20" on there just to cut a quick cookie. Need to have a loop made for a 24" roller nose I have on hand.

My right ear hurts because I didn't notice the muffler outlet louvers were pointed up untill after I started the cut. Yikes!

Glad it went to a good home. :cheers:

My Super 754. Got it in pretty nice shape. Somehow I managed to break the lower handle brace while cranking the saw. Just finished replacing that part. Also dug an old 30" Remington bar out of the closet. Package says it is for the SL and GL saws, but fits this one like a glove. Cut pretty well, in small wood. From what I can tell, it ought to handle larger wood pretty well. I'll probably want to step down to a 7 tooth rim.

Chris B.

rem754_1.jpg

rem754_2.jpg

rem754_3.jpg

rem754_4.jpg

rem754_5.jpg

My Super 754. Got it in pretty nice shape. Somehow I managed to break the lower handle brace while cranking the saw. Just finished replacing that part. Also dug an old 30" Remington bar out of the closet. Package says it is for the SL and GL saws, but fits this one like a glove. Cut pretty well, in small wood. From what I can tell, it ought to handle larger wood pretty well. I'll probably want to step down to a 7 tooth rim.

Chris B.

Did you have a parts saw that you got the lower handle brace off of? Or have you found place with NOS parts? The whole brace is missing off my Supper 990, and I have been looking for one for ages.

Great looking 754

Did you have a parts saw that you got the lower handle brace off of? Or have you found place with NOS parts? The whole brace is missing off my Supper 990, and I have been looking for one for ages.

Great looking 754

Don't think they are the same brace. Judging from the pictures I've seen, you need the later style that may have been used on the Super 770.

Chris B.

I do have a 754 non-runner faded near to pink and missing plenty of paint. I suspect this is your more typical condition.

Don't fear, I have another super-nice Remy on the way.

Chris B.
A super nice Remy??? The anticipation is mounting...got pics??

big ugly; ID help?

Here it is: closest things I can find to it are maybe the 754G? No ID tags, has been painted a maroon color at some point. Ran when parked, sometime in the mid-80s. Once owned by the legendary Tick Wilson of Pulaski County fame. I realize these aren't the best pics, but are as-found.

rem1.jpg

rem4.jpg

rem2.jpg

rem3.jpg

rem5.jpg

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

Is the 'G' in 754-G for 'government' or maybe 'gear-drive?' Was there a civilian gear drive version of this saw, or were they only the government issued saws? Will be tearing into in search of some olive drab paint...

Here it is: closest things I can find to it are maybe the 754G? No ID tags, has been painted a maroon color at some point. Ran when parked, sometime in the mid-80s. Once owned by the legendary Tick Wilson of Pulaski County fame. I realize these aren't the best pics, but are as-found.

rem1.jpg

rem4.jpg

rem2.jpg

rem3.jpg

rem5.jpg

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

To the best of my knowledge, the 754G was a military issue chainsaw. The starter appears to have the remnants of the military plate application that has been removed. You might want to examine other areas of the saw for evidence of other plates that were removed. It appears the aircraft type
spark plug wire has been replaced with a standard version. I'm guessing it was a military issue 754G.

Is the 'G' in 754-G for 'government' or maybe 'gear-drive?' Was there a civilian gear drive version of this saw, or were they only the government issued saws? Will be tearing into in search of some olive drab paint...

I'm almost positive there was a civilian version. Your recoil at least appears to be from a Govt. Issue as it had rivets holding a brass tag in the center apparently. G is for gear-drive.
:cheers:

Well, I have largely disassembled the saw and I am convinced that the maroon was likely the original and only paint on the saw. It was definitely completely disassembled at the time it was painted, and there was maroon paint under the missing badge on the starter recoil. This saw would have only been around 15 years old when my dad acquired it, and I know he didn't paint it.

I need to make a spanner to hold the drive gears so I can get it the rest of the way apart (if I'm correct in my thinking) and bring home my impact driver to get the rest of the fuel tank off. Everything looks pretty serviceable to my untrained eyes, and the bit of the cylinder walls I can see look great. Unfortunately the spark plug was removed and its full mud wasp nests and dead spiders. Gonna soak it with some seafoam or ATF before I try to cycle the piston in the cylinder. Will need to make some gaskets and see what's up with the carb. It's interesting to see what bar oil turns into after nearly 30 years.

This saw is several years older than I am, so I don't have any first hand knowledge or recollections of them. I just haven't found a picture of a Remington this color yet. Didn't know how unusual a variation in color was...

Latest posts

Back