Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a bit of light disassembly and cleaning of the super 990. Probably will box it up for now and start on this super dirty 660 I have that has a pristine piston and cylinder for practice. @cbfarmall gave me a ton of knowledge and tips on how to take apart and reassemble a super series. I have not taken a saw apart before and put it back together lol. The 990 may get sold I'm not sure yet. I did notice that the flywheel is different than others I have seen with the Remington recoil vs the FM one IMG_20230924_171544983.jpg

Anyone know where I can get seals for that 990? I would guess you guys change those if you split the cases?
Seals are CR9838 and CR7443. Look for them on ebay, your local bearing store, NAPA, or mrosupply.com. Maybe get 2 of each in case you mess them up installing. Not much is more frustrating than ruining a seal and having to wait for a replacement. Besides, those 2 seals fit all your Bantam series direct drives.

Did a bit of light disassembly and cleaning of the super 990. Probably will box it up for now and start on this super dirty 660 I have that has a pristine piston and cylinder for practice. @cbfarmall gave me a ton of knowledge and tips on how to take apart and reassemble a super series. I have not taken a saw apart before and put it back together lol. The 990 may get sold I'm not sure yet. I did notice that the flywheel is different than others I have seen with the Remington recoil vs the FM one View attachment 1115165
Did a bit of light disassembly and cleaning of the super 990. Probably will box it up for now and start on this super dirty 660 I have that has a pristine piston and cylinder for practice. @cbfarmall gave me a ton of knowledge and tips on how to take apart and reassemble a super series. I have not taken a saw apart before and put it back together lol. The 990 may get sold I'm not sure yet. I did notice that the flywheel is different than others I have seen with the Remington recoil vs the FM one View attachment 1115165
If you do lose interest, I'd be interested in the 990. But, it'll be worth your while to stick with it.

That is the original starter and flywheel on the Super 754 with the Remington starter mechanism. Chris provided a red F-M starter cover and cup that I used to actually test run the saw but I liked the way the white cover looked so I put it back for display purposes.

Mark
Agreed. I like the look of the Remington style recoil. Very hefty spring and not terrible to work on. It helps to have an owner's manual with step-by-step instructions.

I have a 754 operating instructions booklet and it shows this recoil yet I have never seen one with it? Some 660's and 770's I have have this particular recoil View attachment 1115330
I've seen lots of manuals that were probably written before production models came out. In those cases, it will show parts from prior models, maybe from testing stages.

Looking at a 754g military. Sparkplug wire is a bit rough to say the least. Is it a standard length wire or is it different. Iirc the spark plug is in a different location. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 1123979
The wire was probably cut and a standard boot added to due not finding a spark plug. Original was a braided and shielded wire and special plug to reduce RF interference. Kind of sets it off. Search for pictures of the saw and you'll see.

20231015_130052.jpg
I'm trying to find info and any knowledge on this Remington super 995. I've been told it's a "clone" which I don't believe because it is all Remington parts. It is 105cc I have measured the bore to determine that.
20231014_173237.jpg
I find it extremely interesting the size of the fuel tank on the 995. It has a massive tank compared to any other Remington of the super series I've seen.

I have never seen a mention of this anywhere in any repair manual of mine. I don't see anything other than Remington parts on that saw. What is that screw on top of the gear case over the studs and forward of the fill cap? Does your saw have a tag?

I have never seen a mention of this anywhere in any repair manual of mine. I don't see anything other than Remington parts on that saw. What is that screw on top of the gear case over the studs and forward of the fill cap? Does your saw have a tag?

The screw sticking out is an adjustable orifice to restrict the oil flow to the bar. It's kind of weird because it is not an auto oiler, just has the standard Remington oil pump.
I do have a picture of a tag. received_668999298534960.jpeg
As you can see from the tag, it was a super 990 tag.

The screw sticking out is an adjustable orifice to restrict the oil flow to the bar. It's kind of weird because it is not an auto oiler, just has the standard Remington oil pump.
I do have a picture of a tag. View attachment 1126328
As you can see from the tag, it was a super 990 tag.
I have no clue either but that's rarer than rare IMO

Back