Remington Super 754 issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cj Dean

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got an old remington super 754, it had good compression but the recoil was slow to retract, managed to fix that problem but it doesnt seem to wanna draw fuel, added new line and a filter, have cleaned the carb out too. does anyone have a clue where i can find a carb kit for this?

Is the fuel pump dried out? Those have a funky carter carb on them. Some people have changed them out to tiltson carbs as they are easier to source kits for.

is there a specific tillotson carb to try to source, it has a rounded cap on it, I had the same thought with the fuel pump being dried out, but cant seem to find the carb kit, thanks blueknobbuck, I will look at the carb and see if there is any kinda indicators on it. its seems to be pretty original. got it in a bundle of saws from the junk man, had a few little gems in it for my collection. and this beast. Has anyone tried the brake fluid trick on the pump diaphragm, I was told that if you soak it in brake fluid it can help free the diaphragm up again

If it has the Carter ND, a sponsor has the kit - chainsawr.com. If it's the NRD, it has slightly different fuel pump diaphragm. I don't see it listed.
As for brake fluid, I just did one on a Tilly HP13A and it came out great. Haven't tried it yet but it stayed flexible for several days before I got it back together.

It says tillotson on it...so a fair assumption is it is a tilltotson hahaha. another question is, I had taken the fuel line off, for the purpose of replacing, and cranked it a few times. it seemed to be pushing fuel out of the tank thru the fuel line fitting. do these have some sort of compression release into the tank or something? I have never seen one do that before.

Attachments

• 20131203_073244.jpg
    20131203_073244.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
The model of that Tillotson should be stamped into the side of the mounting flange. I'm thinking that since yours is 'upside down' it will be on the other side. Discount Marine in Bark River MI is also a good source of parts for old obscure carbs.

It says tillotson on it...so a fair assumption is it is a tilltotson hahaha. another question is, I had taken the fuel line off, for the purpose of replacing, and cranked it a few times. it seemed to be pushing fuel out of the tank thru the fuel line fitting. do these have some sort of compression release into the tank or something? I have never seen one do that before.

Vapor pressure from temperature change is pushing fuel out of the carb. feed line. The fuel cap/vent is set up to allow air into the tank but not out. That is so when you turn the saw on its side or upside down he won't pee on your boots.

Just an update, I finally got it going, had yesterday off finally, and put the new line on it and she drew gas as she should. The oiler is working and the clutch is too. I wanted to thank you all for the advice on getting this old saw running. Once I work all the kinks out of it, I intend a full restore. (paint etc,) ill throw some photos up when I finally get it done

He gave me one of the older but newer xl2 saws lol, single trigger with a plastic handle, a remington that I have yet to look at to identify, real big tho. an sxlao, and a few other little dinky ones, and a another 150 auto, and a few others

Back