Removal of a Norway Spruce on the golf course

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad556

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok so here it is, my first video playing around with a helmet cam I rigged up. It was an easy climb, a little cold and windy but me and my one ground guy got it done in about 2 hours just relaxing and taking our time and using a JD gator to haul brush away (we are too poor to own a chipper at RCCC). No rigging in this video just bombing stuff into the drop zone to keep all damage and mess consolidated, I know, I know it didnt really need to be climbed but i did just to run down the clock (i'm salaried but gotta put in my 8 hours) and for the extra practice. Let me know what you think and go easy on me I have only been climbing for 3 months and I am mostly self/internet taught :)

[video=youtube;Gix_AW2EnDI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gix_AW2EnDI[/video]

Sorry about the music, the sound was screwed up so I tried to replace it with music and this was the best one that youtube had that fit. I've got to work on the video editing skills

Nice job, looks good to me, the only thing I like to do different is take a full wrap around the main spar with my second flip-line.
I gots to get me one of them helmet cams. Great video, thanks for posting. Oh yeah lots of sap flying there. Gotta love pine :cheers:

Busting out the 192, hold on to your britches there suny:hmm3grin2orange: Nice job

Hey guys thanks for the feedback.

Thats actually a 24" 441. and a 200T, never used a 192 I'm actually curious to see the difference that everyone it talking about between the two:msp_smile:.

They're not too bad ,for a saw that is half the price of a 200.
A tad lighter.They have about 10% less power than a 200.
Probably wouldn't have noticed much difference while limbing that pine but, you would miss the extra power when you got into the wood.Hell,I want more power from the 200 when I start cut-n-chuck on the spar.

I am actually thinking pretty hard of trying one of the new echo 360t.
Same price as a 192 ,but with more cubes than a 200.

Ok so here it is, my first video playing around with a helmet cam I rigged up. It was an easy climb, a little cold and windy but me and my one ground guy got it done in about 2 hours just relaxing and taking our time and using a JD gator to haul brush away (we are too poor to own a chipper at RCCC). No rigging in this video just bombing stuff into the drop zone to keep all damage and mess consolidated, I know, I know it didnt really need to be climbed but i did just to run down the clock (i'm salaried but gotta put in my 8 hours) and for the extra practice. Let me know what you think and go easy on me I have only been climbing for 3 months and I am mostly self/internet taught :)

[video=youtube;Gix_AW2EnDI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gix_AW2EnDI[/video]

Sorry about the music, the sound was screwed up so I tried to replace it with music and this was the best one that youtube had that fit. I've got to work on the video editing skills

Nice work. is RCCC Rockland County Country Club? Where in NYC are you located

Richmond county country club actually, on Staten Island.

yeah ozzy I actually looked at an echo cs360T today, pretty impressive specs. 10% power loss would be too much of a drop down for me too. I also wish my 200t could have a little more umph. I wish they made something like a 260T, a nice 50cc top handle. I could deal with the extra weight if it could rip through the wood faster without getting bogged down.

Fumy, I watched first and then read your post. My initial thought was that this guy must get paid by the hour. :msp_rolleyes:

Nice work. :rock:
For me I would have used a climbing line choked off to the trunk with a bowline as my second TIP when chunking down. Gives you an rapid escape route if something happens.

For me I would have used a climbing line choked off to the trunk with a bowline as my second TIP when chunking down. Gives you an rapid escape route if something happens.

You mean a running bowline, right?

Usually I choke my climbing line with a carabiner, do you think a running bowline is much safer or there isn't that much difference?

You mean a running bowline, right?

Usually I choke my climbing line with a carabiner, do you think a running bowline is much safer or there isn't that much difference?

Yes, I should have said a running bowline. The problem with a carabiner is that in this situation you could be side loading it when choking it off. In all likelihood nothing will happen but IMO the running bowline is a little better setup.

Last edited:
Thanks Racer.
Was thinking about side loading when asking. Lately I've been using also a steel quick link in the spliced eye attached to the rope with a prusik. For the prusik I use a kevlar split tail. Use to do this also with my lanyard while pruning lateral branches when I need a better balance.

Back