removal of flywheel and clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flbosco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i my previous post , i incorrectly assumed I would have no trouble taking the crankcase apart to paint. I was wrong. I have the nut off the flywheel but that didn't loosen anything . on the other side i have taken off the metal rim around the clutch that works the chain stop, but I don't know what to do next. Don't want to force anyting, and I am at a lose as what to do next. please advise. Thanks

1) what brand/model saw are you working on? We can't help working in the dark.

2) If it's a stihl the dealer has a nifty little puller for about $20 to pull the flywheel. For midsize/semi -large saws one size fits all.

3) Clutch is reverse/left-handed thread. Stihls use 19 mm.

4) To remove either pull the spark plug and insert a CLEAN piece of rope to stop the piston. I use nylon as it tends not to leave fibers behind. Get above the exhaust port before you add the rope.

5) Get a friend to hold the saw when you take off the clutch/nut. I've needed a breaker for some clutches.

this is a stihl 026 pro. i understand your input on clutch removal. for flywheel, i removed the nut and to complete the removal.... is pulling it off with a tool or is there any unscrewing anything before pulling off with the tool. thanks

this is a stihl 026 pro. i understand your input on clutch removal. for flywheel, i removed the nut and to complete the removal.... is pulling it off with a tool or is there any unscrewing anything before pulling off with the tool. thanks

With the flywheel nut off, you need the puller or you need to have the dealer pull it for you.

Don't want to force anyting, and I am at a lose as what to do next. please advise. Thanks

The flywheel is mounted on a tapered shaft, and when the nut is tightened down on initial installation the tapers fit VERY tightly together. Later, when you remove the nut, the tapers are still in intimate contact and they are generally not going to give that up easily. You need a puller, or there are a number of other WECSOG(*) methods.

The pictures below are not of your saw model but will give you an idea of the crankshaft taper etc.

Jim / Wrooster

(*) WECSOG = Wiley E Coyote School of Gunsmithing

DSCN4341_sm.jpg

DSCN4387_sm.jpg

ok thanks. I just got the clutch off using the plastic handle of tuning screwdrive in the crank. thank god someone said reverse threads.

I just removed the 4 screws that hold the crankcases together. should i now be able to separate the two halves? since clutch is removed? i could tape over the flywheel since the intent here is to paint the cases

Its going to take more than that. The bearings on the crank are pressed into races on the case. It will not just fall apart. Best bet is to read the repair manual and search threads of previous crankcase rebuilds. You need to make yourself a crankcase pusher that bolts to bar studs to push case halves apart. Did you get the flywheel off. Why do you have to split it to paint?

Its going to take more than that. The bearings on the crank are pressed into races on the case. It will not just fall apart. Best bet is to read the repair manual and search threads of previous crankcase rebuilds. You need to make yourself a crankcase pusher that bolts to bar studs to push case halves apart. Did you get the flywheel off. Why do you have to split it to paint?

:agree2:

Sounds like you have a lot to learn before you split the case...

no I did get the FW off. i wanted to do a really good job on painting, that why i was going to this extreme. i think maybe I am in a little too deep given what is needed. but this is good learning opportunity. i may take to local stihl dealer and see if they can pull FW and separate cases s well

help me understand what the last two posts mean?

i am new at this, sought help from this site, found out job was a little more than i expected , and will take to dealer to get FW pulled and case opened. what is bogus about that?

is it my typo that read "no i got it off" vs. what should have read "no i didn't get it off"??

You are actually contending that you actually tear down a saw that far
to paint it??????I will not post any more here, because this is silly.............

Hey Fish.., "sometimes" people are silly...

Fibosco - download a service manual.. it will answer all your questions and then you'll not aggravate our fishy friend.

Last edited:
this is a trip... FISH, in addtion to this post ,please don't respond to any future post I submit if you are not into helping newbies. I am amazed that someone can be aggrevated over someone elses lack of knowledge. Isn't a big part of this site about helping those who want to learn?

this is a trip... FISH, in addtion to this post ,please don't respond to any future post I submit if you are not into helping newbies. I am amazed that someone can be aggrevated over someone elses lack of knowledge. Isn't a big part of this site about helping those who want to learn?

Boy are you gonna be missin out if he listens to you. Fish knows his stuff.You need to get used to him. I felt just like you when I got here now Fish and I are REAL good friends.:cheers:

Oh no.. now we're going to have to put up with a mopey fish... Group hugs often work, if he's showered this week.:greenchainsaw:

Back