Removal of Tree Wart?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenlil

Reaction score
I would like to place a stone path walkway around the side of my house. The issue I am having that I need help with is the presence of a "tree wart" in line with where I would like to place the path. The question I have is if I remove the "wart" (probably with a chain saw or Ax) what risk do I have in initiating rotting of the tree or damaging the tree. The tree is withing feet of my home. The tree is old/mature, probably about 3 feet in diameter. I have included a couple photos for assisstance.

Thank YOU!

The tree has a reason for growing that "wart" or canker. If you cut it, it may sucker up at that spot and create a new problem--a small bush of new shoots. Guys correct me if I am wrong and add some other insight. I think it would be a bad idea to cut it.
:Monkey:

notahacker said:
"wart" or canker. If you cut it, it may sucker up I think it would be a bad idea to cut it.
:Monkey:
notahacker is right; extra tissue on buttress roots is to be prized and protected. Sprouting is very unlikely, but decay would be certain, and that's the root that's keeping the tree off your house! :angel:

Why not pack sand around that root, and make the top of the burl (not a blemish, but a beauty mark!) just under the level of the stones, so it is part of the path? plastic pipe on either side would add support, and help ensure that drainage changes do not harm the tree.

If you make a large cut on a root that close to the tree, you run the risk of decay running into the root plate and up the tree. This is the most critical point of the tree, because it's where all the leverage prys at the roots.
I can't think of a much more damaging thing to do to a tree.
If you can raise the grade slightly, just to go over it, without putting soil up against the trunk, that might be better, or what about running your trail around the other side. Paths should meander a bit anyway.

Back