Removals of leaners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brush Hog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know it's best to do them with a bucket but can they be done without one ? Would you just tie off/work out of to another tree. At some point it's going to come down like a brick sh!t house. I saw one driving down the road and it got me thinking.
Pete

i was taught to do them them the same as a straight tree just stay on the upper side so your not fighting gravity.and plunge cut when there is a risk of barber chair.that is unless your talking about a tree that's leaning because its starting to uproot.

You would be AMAZED at what can be done with a leaning tree. A few years ago I had a youngster helping me remove a few trees up behind the shop on our property. I dropped all of them but one small tree, which was leaning HEAVILY in one direction. I watched him make a notch, and I walked away, figuring it would be nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get that tree to swing around apprx 90 degrees where the shop roof would be in jeapardy. A few seconds later I looked up just in time to see the tree swinging over 90 degrees to the left, it actually came around far enough that it almost missed the shop and fell between the shop and the house.

The damage was minor, simply because the tree was so small, at best apprx 8" in diameter. We still had to rebuild one truss and replace an 18' portion of the sheet metal roof. I went back to the stump to analyze the cut. Everything looked good, except a solid 4" of material was left on the left side only, between the cuts, which essentially "pulled" the tree and caused it to fall apprx 120 degrees from the direction of it's steep lean. Evidentally, during the second cut, he cut ALL of the material loose on the right side first, leaving apprx 4" of material on the left side when the tree decided to start it's fall. Lesson learned, NEVER assume a leaning tree needs any less attention to detail that a straight one! Youngsters, even under watchful eye shouldn't be allowed on trees which have any potential of reaching structures. 3rd and most important lesson, NEVER take you eyes off anyone, at any experience level during the process!.....FWIW....Cliff

wish i had pictures of the one i got to go backward. just a matter of cutting enough weight out to shift the center of gravity in your favor and setting a pull line.

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant uprooting and laying over into another tree.

There was a pretty good discussion September 2007. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=53038

Sometimes the leaner can be climbed (if the root ball is still firmly imbedded and the top is solidly crotched), sometimes the tree it is leaning on can be climbed, sometimes a neighboring tree can provide a safe tie in point, or sometimes a zip line can be run between two neighboring trees to provide a safe tie in point. It is an exercise in good judgement. Obviously, you have to be absolutely sure nothing will "At some point ... come down like a brick sh!t house." while you are tied in to it. Tieing the "Leaner" to the "Leanee" at the point of contact saved my bacon on at least one occasion. Keeps the "Leaner", or Hang-up, from becoming imbalenced and rolling out on you while you are limbing it out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back