removing cluch from homelite super xl without a fancy tool???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtracy1223

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an old homelite super xl auto that I am trying to tare all the way down. I have got everything but the clutch off. It has a red arow and the word "off" on it but I cant seem to get it to turn. I have the piston blocked with a chunk of rope and I have been trying to get a rag around it and just give it a good hard turn but there isn't much to grab on to. There are 3 non threaded holes in it that I am guessing a special tool goes in but I am really not trying to buy a tool for a $20 saw. Any tips or tricks y'all have to getting these things loose?View attachment 314488

Last edited:
I have an old homelite super xl auto that I am trying to tare all the way down. I have got everything but the clutch off. It has a red arow and the word "off" on it but I cant seem to get it to turn. I have the piston blocked with a chunk of rope and I have been trying to get a rag around it and just give it a good hard turn but there isn't much to grab on to. There are 3 non threaded holes in it that I am guessing a special tool goes in but I am really not trying to buy a tool for a $20 saw. Any tips or tricks y'all have to getting these things loose?View attachment 314488

Get a couple of steel drifts and put them in two of the holes and assuming you still have the piston blocked, put a large screwdriver or pry bar between then and turn the clutch off. Works well for me without much effort.

Chris and I just yesterday made a tool for taking a Homelite clutch off.

Used a 1/4" thick plate, laid the 3 holes out in it along with one in the center. Drilled the 3 out to tap with a 10-24 tap and drilled the center hole out just larger then the crank shaft.

Tapped the 3 holes and put allan head cap screws them and welded a large nut in the center. Turns the clutch right off that way.

Chris and I just yesterday made a tool for taking a Homelite clutch off.

Used a 1/4" thick plate, laid the 3 holes out in it along with one in the center. Drilled the 3 out to tap with a 10-24 tap and drilled the center hole out just larger then the crank shaft.

Tapped the 3 holes and put allan head cap screws them and welded a large nut in the center. Turns the clutch right off that way.
The real beauty of a tool with a nut is that it can be used with an air impact (the 3/8" drive size is ideal) wrench to unscrew the clutch without having to block the piston.

Latest posts

Back