Removing Sap ? Best way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abl1111

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just finished rebuilding a Stihl 028, just to have in case I needed it. Definite foreshadowing...

I live on Long Island, NY and we had a Nor-easter that blew winds and rain to 80 mph last week for (1-2) days - I have never seen so many BIG trees go down...

We lost a perfectly healthy 70' white pine; dropped in my postage stamp backyard as if a pro felled it there purposely !

Anyway, I have been cutting this sucker up with the Stihl - some pcs 2.5 - 3' round. As you can imagine, the sap is insane.

I have gotten sap all over the saw - what is the best way to clean her up ?

Acetone, alcohol, WD 40, or mineral spirits will clean sap up. Just be careful of the plastics and test a small area first.

I am just refering to what will dissolve sap as I got it all over a favorite sweater turkey hunting last spring and researched what was best. I ended up using hand sanitizer as it contains alcohol; it seemed to be the least aggressive and worked like a charm.

Just finished rebuilding a Stihl 028, just to have in case I needed it. Definite foreshadowing...

I live on Long Island, NY and we had a Nor-easter that blew winds and rain to 80 mph last week for (1-2) days - I have never seen so many BIG trees go down...

We lost a perfectly healthy 70' white pine; dropped in my postage stamp backyard as if a pro felled it there purposely !

Anyway, I have been cutting this sucker up with the Stihl - some pcs 2.5 - 3' round. As you can imagine, the sap is insane.

I have gotten sap all over the saw - what is the best way to clean her up ?

WD-40 or if your brave any type of Zippo type lighter fluid works well and will not damage paint, just be careful

I use vodka on my eye glasses when they have a lot of sap on them. it doesn't hurt the plastic lenses
I drink vodka when I get sap on my glasses, it helps me to see better. It usually doesn't hurt me..........................to bad. LOL:greenchainsaw:

Tried hot soap y water first - nada !

Kerosene next - BINGO ! - if it were any easier, it would clean itself !

Thanks all

Tried hot soap y water first - nada !

Kerosene next - BINGO ! - if it were any easier, it would clean itself !

Thanks all

We used kero/diesel on the rollers of the edger when I worked at the big circle mill and was cutting white pine. If you didn't clean them the boards would get pulled though the blades in a non-parallel manner.

Only drawback is the stink, so use some simple green to finish up cleanup on a saw.

I've never bothered to clean it off a saw. But, margarine, butter, mayonaise, diet pepsi, wd40, all take it off skin and some surfaces all right. You could also invest in Goo Be Gone.

I worked at a car dealer when I was a kid. We ordered sap remover once. It was rubbing alcohol. It even came in the same container that many of them came in at the time, just had a different label printed on it.

A tap and a bucket work great too.

Latest posts

Back