Replacement engine suggestion for Vermeer BC625

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChasBronson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, I’ve had this 04 since 06’ and it’s been a great chipper for our light trimming crew. It wasn’t charging when I got it and replaced the stator and flywheel and it’s lasted well big it’s not charging again.
Hour meter was broke when I got it at 744hrs and I wouldn’t dare to guess who many hours it has on it now but not worth spending another bunch of money on old Kohler CH25 engine.
What are you guys using for replacement engines...if any of you are using these small machines.
Think it’s a 1-1/8” drive side crank diameter. Can’t remember what size shaft cokes out the front go drive the hydraulic pump.
Appreciate any help.

Hello all, I’ve had this 04 since 06’ and it’s been a great chipper for our light trimming crew. It wasn’t charging when I got it and replaced the stator and flywheel and it’s lasted well big it’s not charging again.
Hour meter was broke when I got it at 744hrs and I wouldn’t dare to guess who many hours it has on it now but not worth spending another bunch of money on old Kohler CH25 engine.
What are you guys using for replacement engines...if any of you are using these small machines.
Think it’s a 1-1/8” drive side crank diameter. Can’t remember what size shaft cokes out the front go drive the hydraulic pump.
Appreciate any help.
Just cause it isnt charging is why you are pulling it off?

Just cause it isnt charging is why you are pulling it off?
Well what can it be if it’s not charging, I’m guessing either the stator Or like the first time all the magnets had the epoxy come loose on inside of flywheel and man did she charge after I installed those two new components. The engines got a bazillion hours on it and rather than me spend another $700+ to repair it I’d rather just put a new fresh engine ok it and be done with it. I don’t think a day goes by that I think hey if the engine grenades I can’t be upset because it owes me nothing. I’ve replaced more parts on that engine over the past 14yrs....

Well what can it be if it’s not charging, I’m guessing either the stator Or like the first time all the magnets had the epoxy come loose on inside of flywheel and man did she charge after I installed those two new components. The engines got a bazillion hours on it and rather than me spend another $700+ to repair it I’d rather just put a new fresh engine ok it and be done with it. I don’t think a day goes by that I think hey if the engine grenades I can’t be upset because it owes me nothing. I’ve replaced more parts on that engine over the past 14yrs....
The magnets come off google kohler flywheel magnet repair from Tarryl the magnets have a certain pattern with the poles if they aint set up right it wont charge. I just rebuilt 2 of those Kohlers it seems to be mainly worn rings.

I’ll check out his video for sure and sounds like a winter project to possibly hone, new rings and maybe relap the valves but we’re in mid season and I need to be going now. How have the newer Honda’s or Briggs been compared to the Kohlers ?? Always respected Honda anythjng as long as it’s bolt on. Don’t have time right now to be possibly making shim plates if output shafts are possibly too low or mounting bolt locations are off. Narrow work season and I’m desperate to get back up and running

That couldn’t be a more perfect video o could watch right now. I thought the stator would’ve sent more AC voltage to the rectifier regulator than that but hey at least if I have power to the rec then it’ll be the rec and if not then sure as S*** I’ll be mixing up some JB bc i wont be one bit surprised those magnets have come loose.
Thanks for the quick response brother bc I truly appreciate your help. Have a great day and God Bless !!

I’ll let you know what I find not that you’ll maybe care but I’ll do it anyways haha

I noticed on the news that Briggs & Stratton has filed for bankruptcy protection. You might want to shy away from them as their warranty might be useless if they go out of business.

Kohler's aren't a bad engine. If you go with another brand, you could be in for some machine work especially on mounting the motor.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Thanks for that Dave, this ol Kohler has treated me so good besides me replacing the lifters twice, stator and new flywheel, because the magnets had all moved and Taryl on you tube I’m sure what having his teeth fixed to what they are now back then so he hadn’t shared with the world about that repair when I needed it bsck in 06’ ... so I’d thought about the Honda and likely without a ton of Research on shaft heights and diameters then mounting hole location, I just priced out a 27HP CH7300019 KROLER (as Taryl calls it) and up here in Canada $3860, but to “special order” the identical CH25 that’s the original on it now, 2-3 months and $4500. And let’s not forget ONLY 13% tax over and above that. So ya soon as I’m done sending this I’m gonna go jump the chipper again and do some testing. If I can keep it going for now I’m fine with that. While it’s on my mind, this engine over the years, being my auto feed has never worked (since i got it 2yrs old) But you load that engine down Hard before you stop the feed and let it pick back up again, that engine would knock so hard you’d swear it’s gonna come apart.. yet shut it off and immediately fire it back up and it would smooth right out. Against the advice of Canada Power I started running straight SAE 50 and that solved it. Of course I lighten the viscosity up once it starts cooling down in the fall but have you guys ever come across that right these model Kohlers, I mean Krolers??

I might be able to help you with your auto-feed issue. I wouldn't run that engine down so low when operating the bar. I would work the bar faster as not to bog the engine down. If you think the auto-feed tach is out, I sell them for $600 with the harness. Check the coils on the chipper as they might be stuck. Simply remove the coil and clean the cartridge with emery cloth and use a light oil as they become weathered. I'll see what I can do on a Kohler engine and let you know.

Hope this helps!

Dave
770-420-6400

I’ll check out his video for sure and sounds like a winter project to possibly hone, new rings and maybe relap the valves but we’re in mid season and I need to be going now. How have the newer Honda’s or Briggs been compared to the Kohlers ?? Always respected Honda anythjng as long as it’s bolt on. Don’t have time right now to be possibly making shim plates if output shafts are possibly too low or mounting bolt locations are off. Narrow work season and I’m desperate to get back up and running
New complete heads and an new set of pistons and seals.

I might be able to help you with your auto-feed issue. I wouldn't run that engine down so low when operating the bar. I would work the bar faster as not to bog the engine down. If you think the auto-feed tach is out, I sell them for $600 with the harness. Check the coils on the chipper as they might be stuck. Simply remove the coil and clean the cartridge with emery cloth and use a light oil as they become weathered. I'll see what I can do on a Kohler engine and let you know.

Hope this helps!

Dave
770-420-6400

well I hate hearing any engine drawn down so low under load it’s on the verge of stalling, no that doesn’t happen too often especially when my hand is on the bar. All I meant is the odd time it happened to loaded down below its sweet spot that when she’d usually start hammering.
I just went and looked and I obviously pitched the coil years ago. I know I wouldn’t have just thrown it out without first checking for continuity. I’ve gone with long without so I really don’t miss it.

Well I got the engine removed and everything was going good until I went to try and get the love joy grubscrew out. I took an awl and clean all around the bottom of the screws hex area because I knew I’d only have once chance again getting it cracked loose. Soaked it ahead of time sigh the best penetrating fluid I had and Sure as anything I rounded the inside hex off. Then filled the hole with the best tapping fluid I had and knowing how those screws were hardened I knew my chances were slim. Sure enough I could even begin to cut into it. Then the larger outer plastic dust shield behind that coupler,, of course those metal inserts just spun inside the flywheel cover. I managed to put pressure in behind it and got all out but 1, So here I am working in full sun high humidity and I’m bout ready to order me up a new engine and work on this in the offseason. Hate to feel beat but ....

Well I knew I wouldn’t sleep unless I managed to get this thing apart at least flywheel removed. Sure enough the magnets were stuck to the stator.
Will this still work if one of the magnets is broke in 1/2. Not sure what o could use that would be conductive in between the 2 -1/2’s I’m ashamed how much built up dirt has accumulated inside this engine but I guess I should be thankful it’s been about 12yrs since I’ve had it apart.

Attachments

• 08FA5CE3-6C08-4FFB-8DBA-E668847703CB.jpeg
    08FA5CE3-6C08-4FFB-8DBA-E668847703CB.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • ADF985B9-A1DB-4949-AF95-87003F96AF40.jpeg
    ADF985B9-A1DB-4949-AF95-87003F96AF40.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 3F84166E-1C88-46DC-A871-FF33DD5335E3.jpeg
    3F84166E-1C88-46DC-A871-FF33DD5335E3.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 13
whats that top end cost to rebuild wolf ?? Bottom ends are solid enough to not touch it ? Do these engines use roller bearings on the crank ?
About 650.00 with new complete heads pistons rings seals. First measure the bore specs to make sure it is within tolerance. Kohlers website offers repair manuals online free punch in the serial or model .

well sure enough they list the same engine as I can get up here and I was mistaken I was sure I was told that CH730-0019 was a 27HP but I see it’s a complete ready to go 25 carbeurated. Half thought how nice a FI might be although I hadn’t checked for pricing. Ya by the time I’d get that engine from the US Then add roughly 36% exchange I wouldn’t be saving anythjng. But hey I appreciate the help and had I not been able to source one up here I’d have gone that route. They have them in stock in Toronto ready to ship but I’m hoping I can repair these magnets and head this ol girl roar again

well sure enough they list the same engine as I can get up here and I was mistaken I was sure I was told that CH730-0019 was a 27HP but I see it’s a complete ready to go 25 carbeurated. Half thought how nice a FI might be although I hadn’t checked for pricing. Ya by the time I’d get that engine from the US Then add roughly 36% exchange I wouldn’t be saving anythjng. But hey I appreciate the help and had I not been able to source one up here I’d have gone that route. They have them in stock in Toronto ready to ship but I’m hoping I can repair these magnets and head this ol girl roar again
Look up that Taryl video if you cant find it i will look.

That's just huge money for 25hp.
That particular engine is not very common...at all.
I wouldn't hesitate doing a compression rebuild on it. In terms of electrical parts the vertical series is likely the same as horizontal series which give you a better chance of finding used.
If that machine has PTO attachment on flywheel and crankshaft side I'd be very careful about trying to fit something else. You might develop a headache with no cure.
Stripped hardware...stop by your local golf course and ask the tech if you can have an ounce of his lapping compound. 120/180 would be fine. Do whatever dance you do for known tough hardware extraction and fill head ( Phillips, socket head) with compound. Works great and you will be surprised!
If you were down the street I'd be happy to have a look...this is in my wheelhouse.
McMaster Carr is your go to supplier for all things you can't find local. Great fill rate and shipping. If you can measure it they can supply it.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back