Replacing Poulan Pro 5020AV - Will I be happy with Stihl MS251 Wood Boss?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windsurferk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Poulan Pro 5020AV that i've used for cutting blown-down oaks for firewood. I've been having some trouble with the saw lately and am considering replacing it with the MS251.

The Stihl has lower displacement and rated power, but I'm wondering if the Stihl is going to perform better for my application than my 5020AV. I've been generally happy with the Poulan, but I suppose I would always prefer something that cuts through logs faster.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If you don't use the saw enough to justify the price tag then stay away from stihl. Each saw has it's own purpose. They make many different sizes for that reason.

I have a husky 450 try one of those or a 455. They work well. 350$ or so new

Yeah they are a lot better than the wild thing but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy another one, Iv'e had two and haven't paid more than $100 for em, they had both been used once.

Thanks. I'll check out the 50/55cc Huskies. I'd like to stay under $400. The Poulan Pro has actually held up fairly well for me. I didn't have any experience with a Chainsaw, but my new home was hit by a major storm several years ago and we had 20 mature red oaks (12-20" diameter) go down. I've used that saw to clean it all up into firewood. However, as I'm bucking logs I definitely find myself wishing that my saw was cutting faster. Apart from a sharp chain, is it really the horsepower that makes a difference?

I'm guessing the trees I deal with are probably about the size of what you have, nothing compared to size of trees out west. anyway I'm a big fan of cruising pawn shops for deals and picked up a ms180c like new for $125 and just can't kill it, then I found an 018 missing air filter, cover and choke lever for $30, i've got about $55 total in it and it runs and cuts perfect and for bigger stuff a makita 520i that just won't quit the old ms 360 and 044 stayed in the shed last year. Just remember once you take a saw out of the dealer shop and run it it's a used saw. nothing wrong with buying second hand if you know what your looking for and what your looking at. I've toyed with idea of buying new ms 362 but I don't need it. the total cost of all the saws I own, 7 stihls and the makita was about the same as what it would cost for that new 362

Thanks. I'll check out the 50/55cc Huskies. I'd like to stay under $400. The Poulan Pro has actually held up fairly well for me. I didn't have any experience with a Chainsaw, but my new home was hit by a major storm several years ago and we had 20 mature red oaks (12-20" diameter) go down. I've used that saw to clean it all up into firewood. However, as I'm bucking logs I definitely find myself wishing that my saw was cutting faster. Apart from a sharp chain, is it really the horsepower that makes a difference?
Yes, more hp and torque means faster cutting.

Like cars, No Replacement For Displacement

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice. After replacing the carb on my Poulan Pro and still not getting it to run properly, I took some of the advice from this thread and picked up an Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf. I took it out for an hour right after I got it and all I can say is "wow!" I'm now kicking myself for not picking up a bigger saw like this earlier on -- it cuts so much better than my PP ever did. Thanks again for the advice. This forum is a fantastic resource.

I have a husky 445 and a echo 490. I use the husky more because I have a shorty bar on it but 490 has been a great saw. Glad the new saw is working for you!

Latest posts

Back