Replacing Worn Gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity when do Change out worn climbing gear? Like ropes,Lanyards,Ect. I usually inspect my ropes for knitts,Bad abrasions ect.

To quote Don Blair when asked about when to retire a rope, "Before it breaks!" In the absence of obvious cuts or excessive wear, I would retire a climbing line or safety lanyard after one year of use. Retired climbing lines can be used as lowering lines for non-critical applications as long as they are NEVER again used as a climbing line. Retired lanyards should be destroyed so they cannot be used again.

My 3 Yr old son likes Playing with the retired lanyards Clipping Objects to his electric jeep and dragging them around the yard i.e. Branches,Fire wood and Lawn chairs.I guess he's been observant
when im using the loader.

The biggest question is does using it make you uncomfortable.

I have heard that if 4 cords in a climb line are severed then it should retired.

There is a good thread on ???????? where Chisholm had a rope failure blocking out big wood. His feeling was that the rope was over two years old and should have been retired just as scheduled replacement. They discuss cycles to failure and such concepts. Maintaining a usage record for any dynamicly loaded ropes. As I have stated before, Dave Spencer had done some exparimenting with a dynomometer where a load was let run properly and the friction breaking on the portawrap had a force multiplyer on the rigging line of over 3.25

Slings I see as disposable, if there is a nick in it it does not go back on my rack. maybe used to hold other equipment.

Back