Replanting a larger tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jday3

Reaction score
I want to say right up front that I am a novice when it comes to plant, landscaping or gardening. I seem to be pretty lucky (I can usually keep things alive), but this one is beyond me.
My Sister-In-Law wants to get rid of a couple of flowering Plum trees (not sure of variety). The trunk sizes are approx. 3 to 4 inches and the trees are between ten and 14 feet tall. I want to dig them up and replant them in my yard. I know I should probably hire a landscaping company to do this for me, but I don't have the money. Can you give me some tips on what to do or not to do and maybe some problems to look out for? I know this is a large request and I will appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!!

Organize a bunch of friends, you will need them! Try to take as large a root ball as possible (that's why you need the friends). Deere John has the right idea as well, move it when it is dormant.

Alan

Yes lots of friends and a big, woven tarp. Co-ordination is important to protect the smaller roots from being sheared. And beer - it's a tough job. Gotta have beer.

Back