Rescue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimL

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got my hands on the only one of these out of Viginia Beach yesterday.

Pretty neat setup for the firedepartments.

From what I see It has a carbide chain and a muffler guard,looks like Stihl really put alot of thought into that one.
Have you seen a Cutter Edge fire rescue saw?The are built using the 2165 and 2171 Jonsered power heads

Cutters Edge

i have worked on some of these type saws. this company uses stihl, husky and 'sered. they do cut a bit slower than a stock saw because they are slighly de-tuned and the chain is designed to cut slower but not dull as fast. i have found problems with the husky version and i am waiting to hear from the company.
marty

With 40+ pounds on your back and the equivalent of wearing arctic thermal gear on a 100 degree day, why in the ???? would someone want to carry more weight than necessary up a 28' ladder and then go to work? Do you need that depth guide on the bar? Do you need that spark plug tool to change the plug on the roof? Or fill up the bar oil and fuel mix?
Those units cost around $1,100 or more. I'd think you could get by with the standard powerhead and the special chain. Lot less money...lot less stress.

Do you need a depth guide?
Well only to insure that the cut is not so deep as to cut the roof rafters and send the user into the inferno below him.
when you are dealing with life threatening conditions the 1100.00 cost is insignificant don't you think?
And interestingly Marty, Cutters Edge say they have always used Jonsered powerheads. They do not use any other brand in the build up of their saws. So if you have seen their bar and chain on another saw it is just that, their bar and chain, and not a saw built by them..
They also state that the do not modify the engines and that they are not detuned versions.

Just wondering what the SOP is to maintain a saw that may or may not get used much. Is there a regular interval to replace the fuel, say once a month? I would think they at least must be started once a week or something to make sure of quick starts when needed.
Anyone know any details?

gatkeper1,
Tempest industries makes a Ventmaster unit utilizing the Husky powerhead and the Raptor chain. They also have a depth guide available.
The depth can be controlled by the operator without use of the guide.

Oregon_Rob,
Charlottesville, Va. has their SOP for saw checks and other aspects of their rules & regulations on the web. I believe they have a "Monday Check". You could try a web search, or I may still have the address at work if you want me to check.

The way we were taught to ventilate a roof was to cut by feel, it's very easy to feel when you get to a rafter and you just pull up over it with a regular chainsaw.
Some Fire Depts will buy almost anything with bells and whistles

I am a fireman and we have a Cutters Edge 2165 Jonsey, and their chain cuts through shingles and rafters and the roof FAST. We use the depth guide and it is very helpful in not cutting through rafters. Trust me its necessary, with all the other crap going on at a fire, the last thing you want to worry about is the ventilation saw and a guy going through the roof.

Interestingly this saw started life as a Cutters Edge saw, so they have been using Jonseys for a while

Originally posted by gatkeper1
From what I see It has a carbide chain and a muffler guard,looks like Stihl really put alot of thought into that one.
Have you seen a Cutter Edge fire rescue saw?The are built using the 2165 and 2171 Jonsered power heads

Cutters Edge

Looks like the only thing different they added was that depth guard?

Back