Reset the M-tronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I'm just missing something here...but if you're going to let the saw idle for more than 15 seconds...just turn it off..:confused:

Makes perfect sense but this also results in alot of extra wear on the starting components over a long period of time 20-30 times a day. I get alot of my firewood at the local compost and they are alot of big pcs that are not very long and require alot of noodling so that I can manage the pcs onto the splitter which is alot of setting the saw down and moving the pcs around. Not to mention the fact that a new 885.00 plus tax saw should sit and idle all day ya know being new and all.

Just got off the phone with Casey at Stihl Tech Support. The correct way to recalibrate is crank saw in start position and let idle for 90 sec in the start position. After 90 sec blip throttle to run position then shut off. Restart and let idle in the run position for 60 sec then shut off. Recrank and make 5 full cuts. A few notes was he said no need to remove bar and chain and also to recrank in the start position everytime not in the run position

I am a little lost on the start position and run position. The saw has choke and run position. They don't want us starting it in choke position every time do they?

I am a little lost on the start position and run position. The saw has choke and run position. They don't want us starting it in choke position every time do they?[/QUOTE
Yes and if that saw wont idle when u sit it down take it back to the dealer or call Stihl Tech support. Mine will idle with 0 issues all day

Argh! I wish all the Stihl "tech" guys would get together and give out the same party line on what to do. In reality it may not matter, but we were told to not touch the throttle at all and move directly to off. Nothing about letting it idle in run, just get out and do the test cuts.
Doug I actually talked to Casey and the older gentleman Kenneth and they both told me the same thing. They also said that the Stihl analyzer would only walk the technician through the recalibrate procedure. They said any qualified tech should be able to make all checks on hard components and recalibrate a mtronics saw without an analyzer and fix it. Said that compression, vaccum, ignition module, impulse line, boot, ppor fuel, etc. Would usually be the culprit

Doug I actually talked to Casey and the older gentleman Kenneth and they both told me the same thing. They also said that the Stihl analyzer would only walk the technician through the recalibrate procedure. They said any qualified tech should be able to make all checks on hard components and recalibrate a mtronics saw without an analyzer and fix it. Said that compression, vaccum, ignition module, impulse line, boot, ppor fuel, etc. Would usually be the culprit
That is correct. The carb itself is nothing magical. Just imagine that the solenoid on the side of the carb is a very small man with a very quick screw driver. For your die at idle issue, I'd for sure check for air leaks.

I am a little lost on the start position and run position. The saw has choke and run position. They don't want us starting it in choke position every time do they?
Yes, they want us to start in the choke position. There is a choke position sensor and it will set the shutter where it needs to be.

Yes, they want us to start in the choke position. There is a choke position sensor and it will set the shutter where it needs to be.
yah i had a read thru my 441cm manual. it didnt mention anything about hot starts but just said to start on the choke position every time. learn something ne every day!

Not sure if the 441 is different than my 362, but I use the "Start" position for cold starts and "Run" for warm starts and have never had trouble starting the saw.

When warm, it starts on the first pull in the "Run" mode. If I put it in "Start" when warm it does not start on the first pull.

I'm not an expert on M-Tronic, but what I do works with my saw, so "if it ain't broke, I'm not going to fix it".

If someone needs it I did print those re-calibration procedures, but I don't think they were different than what KG posted. However, I can dig them up if someone wants them.

Also, I run Stihl synthetic 50:1 with 93 octane fuel. The saw was designed to run with 50:1, so that is what I would use.

We got into M-Tronic "rebooting" in a thread I started about my MS441 C-M dying after long idle periods a little while back. That thread recruited at least two different reset procedures. (This might be the thread MustangMike referenced...)

Thread is here -> http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-ms-441-c-m-dies-after-idling.248682/

One reset procedure from Ozhoo was posted on page 3 of the thread, and then the one I got from my dealer is posted on page 4. Be sure to read Ozhoo's explanations of the two procedures (p.4), 'cuz they're for different purposes.

The small issue I am having with mine is that when I set it down to idle and move some wood around sometimes it will die but it always fires right back up on 1st pull. Maybe it is because I run 36:1 but it seems the m-tronic would adjust to the mix.

It sounds as though your saw is doing exactly what mine was doing. In my case the saw went to the dealer three times for the issue and on the third visit Stihl just warrantied the whole saw--shipped me a brand new 441. The new saw, although it has only 1.6hrs on it and just two tanks through it, seems to be behaving itself. I cleared a medium-sized (20" DBH) ponderosa blow-down at our church girls camp a few months ago and it ran like a million bucks. I wish I knew what the ailment was with my original saw, but at least I'm cutting again. (For the record, the original 441 was running E0 91-octane fuel with Stilh Premium oil @ 50:1. The new 441 is running E0 91-octane fuel with Bel-ray H1R at 40:1.) Best of luck to you Woodchuck...hope this bit of info helps in some way.

Latest posts

Back