Restore some life into 2 x 254XPG's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husqy254xp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum today, long time lurker. Hope this will be another forum I frequent to learn and hopefully help others.

I got a couple of 254XPG's back in 2004, they have been sat in the garage since last month when I finally decided I wanted to get them up and running. I have another saw I use for clearing and firewood which has been very reliable but after doing some reading up about the 254XP's I thought they sounded like excellent saws and deserve to be restored.

I picked the better of the two, and the most intact and fitted a carb kit to it, new NGK plugand gave it all a good clean up, bottomed out the L and H and then turned them back out to where they were, I can't remember now but it wasn't far away from the factory run in spec.

Got some brand new fuel and mixed up some fuel, poured it in and went about starting it... Smile now fading from my face.

After trying the method in the manual and also adding starting strategies from my own knowledge I was actually physically sick feeling, it was like an intensive workout. I pulled the plug and it was wet, which I expected as there was vapour coming from the silencer.

I let it all dry out, turned it upside down with the plug out and pulled it over, got maybe a tablespoonful of fuel out of it. I let it air dry for an hour or so, put it all back together and gave it another go. After a while I it started to kick, this renewed my enthusiasm and I kept going. Eventually low and behold she revved into life and ran... for 10 seconds. I could not get it to restart, so took the plug out checked it wasn't flooded and left it overnight to dry.

I would try it every other day or so when I was bored and after some carb tinkering eventually I got it to run, it would run but I had a feeling it would not idle, so I held it on a light throttle until it warmed up then gave it the beans and it revved up like a champ and ran very cleanly after the initial heavy smoke, probably from the flooding.

I have tweaked the carb some more and got it to start and idle well at the weekend but eventually it died at idle and would not restart. After some time, maybe a couple of hours I could get it to go again, I sat it down and let it idle which it did fine and also revved nicely, on letting go of the throttle it would die. Once it died it was not going to restart. I have not looked at it since Saturday now.

The carb was sat for 12 years with fuel in it I would say so I am almost certain the carb is not happy. The fact it can run and will run beautifully makes me think there isn't much else wrong with the saw other than fuel issues, it will even run with the decompressor fully in, it's a bit sticky - I need to "set" it so that it's just about to pop out, thus when I start it is will throw it out itself.

I have spent a lot of time tonight investigating the carbs, various posts on this site state that some of the bigger carbs are a good idea on this saw. I spent a lot of time on eBay and various suppliers but it seems that carbs for these are not that readily available and it looks like I will have to buy in from the US (I have contacted a seller selling a genuine Walbro 262 carb about shipping). I can get chinese knockoffs on UK eBay fine but I am thinking I might as well get a good one.

The other saw will need a new piston and cylinder as the piston is badly scored but that can be the second one to rebuild.

So I know I am new, but we all have to start somewhere, so I am looking forward to reading from the wealth of knowledge on this site.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back