Restoring a Homelite 1050

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihldoc

Analog old guy in a digital world
Reaction score
I am restoring an old Homelite 1050 saw as a Christmas present for my largest customer. This was the owner's first big saw when he started in the 1970's and has been sitting forgotten for 15 years. His son and I think it belongs on display in his office. For a saw that was used commercially it is in overall good condition and needs little more than cosmetic work and tuning. I am looking for a muffler, cast aluminum muffler cover, and air filter for this beast. Everything else is servicable. I also need your suggestions on a paint color that is correct for this saw. Thanks in advance, Bill.

Were you ever able to find the right paint color? I'm also in the process of restoring a 1050. I was able to get a new flywheel cover a couple years ago so it hasn't faded yet. I was thinking about getting a paint store to match the color.

that is what i did it works well
just make sure you use a paint that will hold up to gas and clear coat that will hold up also
my 1050 that i restored is on here also a 1020 i did

I haven't gotten as far as paint, the saw is bead blasted and ready for reassembly. I am still looking for a few cosmetic parts and a muffler. Keep me posted on your progress and choice of paint. Thanks, Bill

take a new old stock part to a body shop that can scan the color they can then reproduce it .even put it in an aresol can.some places can do this in house but other go through a supplier such as ppg and my experience is that that can be costly.ie 200$ a quart.

Stihldoc said:
I am restoring an old Homelite 1050 saw as a Christmas present for my largest customer. This was the owner's first big saw when he started in the 1970's and has been sitting forgotten for 15 years. His son and I think it belongs on display in his office. For a saw that was used commercially it is in overall good condition and needs little more than cosmetic work and tuning. I am looking for a muffler, cast aluminum muffler cover, and air filter for this beast. Everything else is servicable. I also need your suggestions on a paint color that is correct for this saw. Thanks in advance, Bill.

Just got back from a Tru Value hardware store. They had a spray can from
"XO Rust", made by GPM of 201 Jandus Road, Cary IL, 60013-2889. Color on label reads "XO-14 Tractor Red (Federal Safety Color) 197798."

I sprayed some on a piece of lexan and let it dry. This is an extremely close match to a fan housing I bought new from a dealer about 4 years ago. Saw has been indoors 99.9% of the time since then, so I think the color has remained true. The red/orange is right on but maybe just the slightest bit darker, barely noticeable. I am going to paint the starter cover and muffler and cylinder shields, then remount and compare to the fan housing. Let you know in a couple days how it comes out - will try to get good pictures.

Back