Resume, Applicant, New Employee Pet Peeves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Says the guy with a avatar pic pushing a big block off. My 105 lb wife would never even be able to rock it back and forth a bit let alone push that block off. What happens when the dead weight sits on your bar when you fininsh that cut? Is a 100 lb girl or guy gonna pull a 660 out with one hand as they pushs the block with another? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black..

If you look a little closer, it looks like he made the cuts then moved to the top of the log and gave it a push. Is that how it went Gorilla? If so, that's much safer than cutting with one hand and pushing with another.

Advocating unsafe saw handling isn't going to win you many friends. Even though that's how I'd do it.

The 101 forum is for helping new people. Not telling them find a new career cuz they won't be hired due to their sex and physical stature. Commercial tree care is for chest thumping and biggest **** contests.

Theres tons of oppurtunities out there for a woman or a midget. From running log trucks and cranes to PHC to stump grinding to climbing. Why do you choose to focus on one of maybe 5 activities that being a 6 foot tall 200 pounder is an advantage?

You and I both know "unsafe" is a lot of the time the only way it can be done. Who actually keeps both hands on a 200t all the time, or even once :) I'm not here to make friends. I was only trying to provide a realistic image of what a woman can and will encounter in the tree world.

We run a 3 man crew and that's all we need. There's no climber only guy, there's no stumper only guy. Everyone does everything with the exception of air work or crane work. I usually do most of the hardest work as I don't ask anymore from my guys that I put out myself. If the brush isn't done when I get down I start chipping, then load wood, then stump.

This is basically how most services run around here. Maybe you guys have stumper only guys and contract climbers but it doesn't work like that around here.

Chill out man. Were here to help each other and bounce ideas off each other. It's not a contest. I'm a big dude too. 6'2" 220 lbs. built like a brick shithouse. I can easily push those logs off with one hand. Every once in a while when I don't really have much of a choice, I will. But it is kinda dumb. That's how you get cut, dragged down by the saw catching in the wood, and caught up in ropes. Not to mention how hard it is on your body. I do my best to keep myself without permanent injury, and I already have back problems from stuff like that. I prefer to cut logs a lot bigger with a big open face cut and have my ground guys pull it with a rope I it's not leaning the right way. Takes 30 sec to pull a rope back up and reset. And I always have a rope with a descender or a double rope with a Blake's hitch ready to get me down if I get hurt. You gonna give me crap for that too? It's a dangerous game we play, and I like to keep the odds in my favor. If you don't act like a meathead you won't get treated like one. Id like to think you're a good guy since you have a dedicated crew, but so far you're kind of a douche.

You want me to chill out? You have basically called me a ass, meathead, and douche. Have I called you any names?

It's funny how a lot of the guys doing this are big strong guys as that was my main point!

The OP hasn't said a peep since mid-March. I bet she's wondering how this can of worms got opened and smeared all over God's creation. That, or she simply gave up on this site after seeing that nothing changes, and boys continue to be boys. Me? I finally decided what I want to be when I get older ... younger!

You want me to chill out? You have basically called me a ass, meathead, and douche. Have I called you any names?

It's funny how a lot of the guys doing this are big strong guys as that was my main point!

You're right, I shouldn't resort to name calling. I apologize for that.

My point was just because I'm a big guy doesn't mean I need to use that strength all the time. That whole work smarter not harder thing. But everyone does what works for them. I've seen featherweights that are much faster than I am that don't push logs. I hope the OP found a job with a good company and is working to much to be playing on here. With that being said, I'm done with this post. We should let this die.

Says the guy with a avatar pic pushing a big block off. My 105 lb wife would never even be able to rock it back and forth a bit let alone push that block off. What happens when the dead weight sits on your bar when you fininsh that cut? Is a 100 lb girl or guy gonna pull a 660 out with one hand as they pushs the block with another? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black..
Take a look at the position of the bucket. I generally try NOT to pinch my bar. I made a snap cut and went back to the top to push. You must wear out bars pretty quick if you make a habit of pinching them.

You're right, I shouldn't resort to name calling. I apologize for that.

My point was just because I'm a big guy doesn't mean I need to use that strength all the time. That whole work smarter not harder thing. But everyone does what works for them. I've seen featherweights that are much faster than I am that don't push logs. I hope the OP found a job with a good company and is working to much to be playing on here. With that being said, I'm done with this post. We should let this die.

Put your 'man-suit' back on Brendon,, Ole Shelby does his thing and don't live in the real world. Just let him spat.
Jeff

If you look a little closer, it looks like he made the cuts then moved to the top of the log and gave it a push. Is that how it went Gorilla? If so, that's much safer than cutting with one hand and pushing with another.
Yup, takes very little muscle. Funny, I weigh 215 and a lot of other big guys on here are advocates of women and lighter folk, what are you trying to prove Shelby? Little pecker got the best of ya?

You and I both know "unsafe" is a lot of the time the only way it can be done. Who actually keeps both hands on a 200t all the time, or even once :) I'm not here to make friends. I was only trying to provide a realistic image of what a woman can and will encounter in the tree world.

We run a 3 man crew and that's all we need. There's no climber only guy, there's no stumper only guy. Everyone does everything with the exception of air work or crane work. I usually do most of the hardest work as I don't ask anymore from my guys that I put out myself. If the brush isn't done when I get down I start chipping, then load wood, then stump.

This is basically how most services run around here. Maybe you guys have stumper only guys and contract climbers but it doesn't work like that around here.

I keep both hands on my 201 at all times.

You should watch Reg Coates' video on blocking down big wood by taking a deeper undercut. Both hands on the saw at all times, doesn't have to put a lot of effort into pushing.

BTW, we run 6 crews and our 660 gets used about once every 2 weeks. Don't need to be a gorilla if you are a FULL service tree CARE company.

Back