Resume, Applicant, New Employee Pet Peeves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
look like your ready to work, i once interviewed a guy that packed lunch, he wanted to start work NOW. we hired him.
Thats good advice in my opinion, not only that but be ready to work.

Also, have a good "elevator speach" ready. Likely, most owners wont do sit down interviews and if they do it will be short. I dont see why a resume would hurt but focus on highlighting the skills you do have that will help you in the position you are applying for and point them out and speak to them. If its a smaller company and you get face time with the owner let him know your ready to work that day and be dressed and ready to do so. If he likes your interview and first impression he might ask you to start right in, insist on it if you like. Committment to work goes a long ways and therefore you have to be willing to prove it, not just say it. All that being said, it might make good sense to set up your interview for early morning or at lunch time that way you can get half a day in or so.

Are you single? I might as well ask, everyone you ever work with is gonna.

You've not got any real experience, so there's little point in making up a resume. It's only going to be full of your lack of experience and end up sounding like a motivational speech full of ridiculous statements like "I'm a team player and love to challenge myself". We run only a small crew of 4-6 guys but went through over 150 staff last year, I kid you not. Each time I advertised I generally got a couple hundred applicants. Empty resumes get binned immediately. The best you can hope for is a start. If you're any good, that's all you need. No resume will get you hired, but good work will keep you in a job, learning and earning. Call around, talk to the boss and not the receptionist. Hit a home run each time with a statement like "This is the only job for me. Give me a start tomorrow and let me show you what I'm made of. If you don't like me at the end of the day I won't bother you again". Half a dozen phone calls like that will get you a start, 100 resumes posted out will not.

If you do get the job then go suck eggs for a month, grounding is miserable. You probably won't want to do the job after a month of grounding. Either way, if you're single I'd love to ask you out.

Oddly enough my resumes looks almost identical to the list of things I never want to do again ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Resumes can't hurt but focus on those jobs or your education that will be put to use with the job. You can list that you operate a loader or Bobcat but show how it would relate to the tree industry. And don't overlook other small jobs you've had that don't relate to the industry like working in a book store or driving a cab. At least it shows you have a desire to work. Big gaps between jobs isn't good. What were you doing if not working? Red flag.

I occasionally get unsolicited resumes. (nb. they are always unsolicited, unwanted, and nothing marks their passing)
A resume isn't something an individual should screw up with easily avoided spelling mistakes, so I find it especially disconcerting to so frequently spot them. You gotta pour your heart and soul into a resume. Carefully structure every word and sentence in it. So don't muck it up.

I occasionally get unsolicited resumes. (nb. they are always unsolicited, unwanted, and nothing marks their passing)
A resume isn't something an individual should screw up with easily avoided spelling mistakes, so I find it especially disconcerting to so frequently spot them. You gotta pour your heart and soul into a resume. Carefully structure every word and sentence in it. So don't muck it up.

A shared sentiment indeed. Comically, resumes with recurrent spelling mistakes all too often contain the phrase, "excellent written and oral communication skills".

I dont see why a resume would hurt but focus on highlighting the skills you do have that will help you in the position you are applying for and point them out and speak to them. If its a smaller company and you get face time with the owner let him know your ready to work that day and be dressed and ready to do so. If he likes your interview and first impression he might ask you to start right in, insist on it if you like. Committment to work goes a long ways and therefore you have to be willing to prove it, not just say it. All that being said, it might make good sense to set up your interview for early morning or at lunch time that way you can get half a day in or so.

Great stuff.

Accurate to say that keeping answers clear, efficient and sharp is a solid plan?

Great stuff.
Accurate to say that keeping answers clear, efficient and sharp is a solid plan?

Yes, use your judgement and provide only enough detail to keep them interested but not too much to flood them with rambling talk. Read their body language and shorten the details if they are becoming bored or act like you are taking up too much of their time.

Often I find in my profession, everyone being interviewed for the position has similar education and qualifications that I have and so what really makes you stand out and rise to the top is your character and personal aspirations outside of work and how they relate to the position. Sharing a personal experience or desire like you told us about climbing (rock?) is a home run. Share a short climbing experience with them in which you were challenged and how you resolved it and how you think you would benefit from that experience on the job and with your background. That will go a lot farther then talking about your last job a "X".

Where are you currently looking? I would suggest applying with the larger national companies. There will be more opportunities for you rather than a family run operation. Tree work is hard and it is going to take time for you to get in "work" shape. Eat right, don't smoke and get plenty of sleep. If you are hired you will be watched more closely, stared at and probably told you don't belong. Welcome to the tree world.

My wife was in production for 13 years and went through it all. In the end she was the Production Manager for her office running 4 crews, competed in 5 ITCCs and could out climb and out work most men. I firmly believe a woman can do this work, don't let people tell you you can't. If you are willing to relocate, you will have a wider range of options. Good luck.

P.S. I am currently looking for an assistant arborist.

Make yourself valuable is the best advice I can give you. Learn something new every chance you get. Be a sponge and soak up all the info you can. I wish I had just one guy who would actually just TRY to learn something to be a better worker!!! Nope....just there for a paycheck. That's why two have come and gone in the past week....and the season really isn't in full swing here yet with the long days and the miserable heat.

I have tried and tried to find a female climber since last year with no luck. Can't seem to find a woman who wants to hang out in the top of trees all day. My guy is 6'-3" and 200 pounds so there are a lot of those little limbs he just can't walk out on to do a righteous trim on some smaller trees.

If you learn everything you can - be a sponge for knowledge - you can succeed in this business. Just invest in yourself and try to learn something new every day....and practice it often.

Hello all-- I'm GroundSquirrel, from Texas, and I'm another lady in the business. I'm a ground 'guy' and I've been doing this for a couple of years. Doesn't make me any kind of an expert by any means, but I did want to share my 2 cents for other women who are giving thought to this line of work.

First-- it's already been said, but I want to acknowledge that as a woman, it's NOT necessary to 'prove' yourself to anyone as long as you have a good work ethic. You don't need to hump huge mounds of brush to make a point. If you are on a good crew, like mine (praise God!)-- what you do will be appreciated so long as you just do your job to the very best of your ability, and make the effort to expand your ability. By that, you ask questions. You ask to learn things. You set your sights a little higher every day and make an honest effort to reach a little higher. You keep your head on a swivel, watch what's happening, keep looking UP, literally, because that's where the action is. Dress for hard, hot and dirty work; there's plenty of time to doll up later. Keep your eyes and your ears open and ALWAYS be mindful of your climber(s). NEVER show up to a job drunk or high, and NEVER 'indulge' on the job-- that's why we have this time called 'after work'. Tree work is dangerous; tree work while messed up is a death wish.

I am a petite woman, and there's no disguising that fact. My crew members and my boss know that. They're also smart enough to know that a 'half ton truck' can't carry as much as a 'one ton', but also wise enough to realize that both 'trucks' are capable of doing useful work so long as they are running right, if you know what I mean. Heck, I'm not even really a 'truck'-- a 'bicycle' is more like it! :p But even a bicycle can do things and go places where a truck just won't go. Thus, another poster's point about the 200 pounder on a small limb, versus the smaller and lighter climber. Heck, I'm so light (just over 100 pounds... yes, I said I was little!) that I can't always mash down a stack of brush on the trailer... but I can slip into those tight little places where piles of brush always seem to gather and get the things that are in places too small for our burly men to fit. But despite my size, I can rope down trees and big cuts like the best of them. I do not climb because I have horrible knees (due for replacement in the too-near future). But I can work a chainsaw, stack brush and firewood, haul a wheelbarrow, feed a chipper, tie knots and basically do all the 'boring' little ground things that are so essential.

Why do I say this? Because, everyone admires the climber. That guy, to many observers, is the 'coolest' person on the crew. But in the end, when you pack up the tools and prepare to leave and get that check from the client-- the ground person is the one who ultimately does the clean up work. People might not immediately notice the 'missed' hanger or 'deader' up in the canopy... but they WILL notice the huge mess in their yard. And, they will NOT be pleased! In a sense, then, the ground person is the one who really puts the bows and ribbons on the job. It doesn't matter how professionally the tree is cut-- if the grounds look like C.R.A.P. (can I say that here?) when you leave, you won't get another call from that client-- and word will spread. The ground person is the one who sees that the climber has what is needed to do the job, and gets it when asked. The ground person is the one who sees to it that brush piles are safe and won't blow off a trailer if it's being hauled away.

So starting off as a ground person is nothing to be ashamed of, not at all. For most, it's a fine place to begin to learn the trade... and for 'older' and more 'beat up' folks like me, it's a noble and necessary function. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm proud to be a 'GroundSquirrel'. And NEVER let any buck tell you that women have no business in this business! My boss has hired several women to help out. Some couldn't cut it (ha, get it? :chainsaw:). But a few actually climbed the ropes (ha, I'm on a roll today!) and went on to form their own companies. You definitely need a tough skin to put up with the junk that SOME guys will dish out. My boss actually FIRED another ground guy over sexist remarks, from a guy who actually could not keep up with ME. But do not count on that. Be strong, keep your head up, do your job, show a willingness to work and learn and improve, be part of the team by dressing like one of them and pitching in, learn the basics and learn about SAFETY... and be prepared for hard work. But be prepared for a real satisfying feeling of an honest day's labor in the fresh air.

Sorry for sprawling out like the canopy of an ancient oak... but this was a very pertinent thread to me. Thanks for reading!

~GroundSquirrel

One of our best crane ops is a woman. She can put the sling right in my hands....no reaching for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welcome to AS you'll get a job no worries the trade tree skills & schooling up will come easy if you enjoy your work & consider the larger company's as they have better avenues for keen newbies

for your resume,,, if you got one then great if not go get your truck licence this helps so much when hiring staff for crews

There seems to be a lot of guys saying you'll have no problem but I see it different. I run a service and here's my opinion on the hard truth. We run a very small crew but have all the toys also. Other than our wifes not wanting us to hire a girl we just wouldn't as a general rule anyway. Think of it this way... The guys that have put in there time hire people to make there job easier. Yes its hard to find smart people but the sad truth is after a guy climbs a big tree or even a technical cut and swing tree he doesn't want to drag brush or throw wood on the dump truck. We have a crane on our dump truck but the low man has to rig it too and that entails rolling and strapping wood.

Strength is a huge part of our own system and helps us to make money. We have had very smart people but without the strength they didn't offset enuff to make us keep them. This is only my personal views but be ready to encounter this when applying. We also do all the in air stuff ourselves so only hire groundies.

There seems to be a lot of guys saying you'll have no problem but I see it different. I run a service and here's my opinion on the hard truth. We run a very small crew but have all the toys also. Other than our wifes not wanting us to hire a girl we just wouldn't as a general rule anyway. Think of it this way... The guys that have put in there time hire people to make there job easier. Yes its hard to find smart people but the sad truth is after a guy climbs a big tree or even a technical cut and swing tree he doesn't want to drag brush or throw wood on the dump truck. We have a crane on our dump truck but the low man has to rig it too and that entails rolling and strapping wood.

Strength is a huge part of our own system and helps us to make money. We have had very smart people but without the strength they didn't offset enuff to make us keep them. This is only my personal views but be ready to encounter this when applying. We also do all the in air stuff ourselves so only hire groundies.

Arboriculture is a very large field with many different jobs and duties. Humping heavy wood during a removal is only one facet. One of our competitors has had a 3 year street tree pruning contract, nothing cut has been too big for anyone to move and the cutting requires knowledge and skill rather than brute strength.

Plant health care and stump grinding are other facets of the biz that don't require brute strength.

Too bad your wife can't trust you to hire a woman. Good thing you don't work in an office.

Arboriculture is a very large field with many different jobs and duties. Humping heavy wood during a removal is only one facet. One of our competitors has had a 3 year street tree pruning contract, nothing cut has been too big for anyone to move and the cutting requires knowledge and skill rather than brute strength.

Plant health care and stump grinding are other facets of the biz that don't require brute strength.

Too bad your wife can't trust you to hire a woman. Good thing you don't work in an office.

Yes it CAN be a very large field to work in but NOT in our area! We have probly 10 different tree services and they are all men. There is a reason they are all men. 85 percent of our work is removal. Holding heavy limbs while swinging over houses, spurring with the 660 and a 32 inch bar cutting wood down... You name it, its all strength in OUR area.

Stumping isn't strength? Yesterday we almost filled our dumptruck forking and shoveling willow stump grindings on.

My wife (and every other guys wife) is smart enuff to know you don't hire a girl to do OUR job. If I did she would know something is up because they (lets say 95 percent as there are strong tough women but very few) can't handle OUR routine. If I worked in a office women would be common place and not a issue.

I've been waiting for a knuckle dragger to post. If I have heavy limbs over a house, I use a rope.

While your playing with your rope i'll be on the next job.... Where exactly are you roping to? Are you going to rope them onto the roof when you could easily cut and swing? Are you going to have a guy running the rope and a guy on the roof when they could be chipping? Who's gonna drag that big limb to the chipper and feed it thru when it hits the ground?

Some of you guys must work at a snails pace from the sound of things.

Latest posts

Back