Return to Old Jobsite?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKdeOhio

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey All, quick question.
I trimmed a guys mature silver maple about 3 mos. ago. The tree was hairy, needed some TLC. My climber is skilled (& expensive) and after the tree was trimmed to all the required specs (per the estimate), the HO and myself looked over the tree (in fact, I was under the impression he thought we took off too much...) and he was quite pleased, which was reiterated with the note he sent me. I got a message from the HO today stating "now that the leaves have bloomed I have noticed several dead branches that were missed - please come out and remove"
I have not been back out to the property, so I have no idea of how valid his claims are, but I don't want to be 'married' to this job...can you give me advice on how to handle this situation, best-worst case scenarios? How much more should I be willing to do here?
Thanks in advance!

It all depends on what the situation is. If the branches in question are small, and wouldn't have come out on a normal dead wooding job, under 1.5", then leave them. if the branches died back or didn't bud due tot he climbers in proper pruning then do the work.

As long as it isn't major stuff and he was happy when you left, and the work was performed to his satisfaction go back and tell him more money= more pruning!

Let us know what you do.

id would ride by their and look at the tree. sometimes its hard to tell which ones are dead without no leaves on them. is it worth losing a customer or future customers over not doing the job. i would go back and please the customer for free.

thanks

Thanks for input - will go by today or tom., then decide on what to do. I will let you know what I decide (or I'll prob just come back for more advice!!)
Thanks again.

it can be a lil frustrating dealing with a HO. I did a job yesterday, norway maple damaged in a storm. the local borough guys cleaned up the debris & cut the limbs outta the tree(BAD WORK) I clean it up, thin it out & tell the HO to have some patience the tree has been through alot but is intact & sound.

after the jobs finished he tells me I think Ill take it down will you still honor the removal price. now to trim it was $400.00 to remove it was $600.00 leaving the wood!! so I tell him sure! but wish I wouldve known before trimming to save you $$$$ Im thinkin $1000.00 WRONG he wants me to take it down for $200.00 in his mind 400 for trim plus 200= 600 I says Nooooooo my time trimming and my time removing are two seperate animals, I can discount some but not removing for $200.00.

RESULT home owner not very happy, but understands(Ithink). It amazes me how peoples mindsets are, landscapers throw in anything with color, bark mulch & get thousands. Grasscutters or(lawn maintenance technicians) do 20+ lawns a day & there shabby!! cut in the rain, miss spots etc.... but have new this and that.

arborists/tree trimmers spend alot on their toys- saws, chippers,buckets,ropes, etc.. but always seem to get undermined by some fly by night or home owner who wants more!!!! go figure!

LXT.........................................:givebeer:

Back