Reuse 254 Crankshaft?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agrarian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I recently got a 254 that looked in excellent shape but was advertised as "locked up". I bought it hoping for something simple but it turned out that someone must have pressure washed it and put it away. The crankcase was suffering from a case of white death.

Initially the connecting rod would not move on the crank. After spraying it with WD40 and working it for awhile, I was able to get it moving fairly well. Taking the crank out and cleaning it in the parts washer, it seems to be quite free and all the rollers seem to be moving normally. There are no obvious "hitches" in its rotation and it has no apparent slop in it.

So my question is, should I trust this crank / rod bearing and the potential pitting that may exist (but is not visible) or should I put this project aside and wait for a different crank? If I use it, is there something others have done to minimize the chance that it would fail under use?

Thanks.

If you have the parts needed to make it run, I'd give it a shot.. is there going to be a lot of crud and paint coming off the walls? If the P&C are perfect they may not be if too much of that floats through them, if they aren't perfect, it's no big loss.

Latest posts

Back