Reuse damaged Stihl flywheel or replace?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylemorley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have Stihl with a damaged flywheel. Something came loose inside the Easy@Start starter and contacted the flywheel, slightly chewing up the end corner tips of the fan blades. Other than that the flywheel looks fine. Local shop quoted me $150 for just the flywheel, which is pretty close to what the saw is worth. The shop cautioned me against trying to reuse the old flywheel, saying it would ruin the balance, but it seems to me that since the blade tips were ground down only a tiny bit, and as evenly from one blade to the next as if I'd done it on a lathe, that balance may not be effected all that badly, and anyhow I am willing to put up with a bit of vibration to save sinking $150 into the saw.

Anyone have any experience with this, or any informed opinions as to whether it will work or not?

Oh flywheel is 1123 400 1207 in case anyone has an extra one kicking around they'd like to sell.

There have been several threads over the years about using flywheels with fins busted off. The general opinion was the saws ran fine with no problems. I would run it and not worry.

If you're real uncertain after all the comments, just get one off Ebay as has been suggested, and never look back! :cool:

the fins don't matter worth a damn. counter weights are what balance the flywheel and the fins are there for cooling. i mean like, i wouldn't run one with all fins broken off one side but yours will be just fine. i've ran some pretty buggered flywheels on saws with no problems. i usually replace them when/if i ever run into a parts saw with a good one. i got one 3120 flywheel here that was lightened with and angle grinder (not me). i ran it for a year with no issues and the counterweights were all hacked up on it. i had a couple 02 suffix wheels laying around but waited for the 01 flywheel cause i like the 12.5k limit.

Latest posts

Back