Ricking logs in the field?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne02

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy,

Hope this is the right forum for this question.

We are absentee owners of some property that we get our firewood from. Normally I prefer to leave the trees standing until time to cut them for firewood for the following season, but...

This year I am clearing part of the property line for a boundary fence and this entails falling trees that are on the property line and a number of leaners that would crush the fence if/when they go over. This means I will end up with far more logs than I need for next years firewood. Probably end up with enough logs to last a number of years it looks like. We use an excavator to move/stack the logs as well as to hold them off the ground for cutting into firewood pieces.

I'd like to rick them or stack them in a somewhat orderly fashion that would keep them off the ground. I can of course cut two larger logs to run parallel to each other and stack the logs on top of these, but with nothing to contain them on top of the two parallel logs they will just roll right off the ends.

I'm thinking something along the lines of the U shaped bunks used on log trucks, but am wondering if there is some country method using materials at hand to stack logs in the field?

Thanks
Wayne

Use a chainsaw to notch the two logs that will hold the pile, so the first course can't roll off.

Put wedges under the edge logs, make/cut them right there, to stop the logs from rolling off.

You are a more trusting type of guy than I am. I wouldnt even consider stacking wood and leaving it on property where there isnt anyone to keep an eye on it. I even had someone take off with my fence last year, steel posts and field fence were gone. Almost 600 ft of it. The local sheriffs office wasnt even surprised when I reported it.

You are a more trusting type of guy than I am. I wouldnt even consider stacking wood and leaving it on property where there isnt anyone to keep an eye on it. I even had someone take off with my fence last year, steel posts and field fence were gone. Almost 600 ft of it. The local sheriffs office wasnt even surprised when I reported it.
Understood, in our case we have family on the adjoining acreage who keeps a pretty close eye on our place. Even with that my brother in law heard a chainsaw running earlier this year on our place and walked back there to find two guys thinking they could just fall some of our trees.

Use a chainsaw to notch the two logs that will hold the pile, so the first course can't roll off.

Put wedges under the edge logs, make/cut them right there, to stop the logs from rolling off.
Ok, I get the notches in the support logs preventing the first course from rolling off, but does this mean the "pile" gets ricked up with courses that contain fewer and fewer logs such that it becomes triangle shaped?

Wedges under the edge logs of each subsequent course which prevents that course from rolling off, then cut that course to firewood length right on the pile?

Thanks

Ok, I get the notches in the support logs preventing the first course from rolling off, but does this mean the "pile" gets ricked up with courses that contain fewer and fewer logs such that it becomes triangle shaped?

Yes.

Wedges under the edge logs of each subsequent course which prevents that course from rolling off, then cut that course to firewood length right on the pile?

You could, but really the wedges are for keeping the logs where you want them to stay.

Thanks
:)

Nailsbeats has a current thread showing a criss/crossed pile of logs, then cutting them down. It gives another idea.http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=73685

Last edited:
Lay your ground logs at 90* angle to a couple standing trees, or high cut stumps (as high as you like). Deck you logs against them . Make as many decks as you need. You don't say how you intend to deck them or how high you can deck them. :cheers:

0=============0

0=============0

Something like this, with this "0" being the standing tree and "====" this being your ground log. Hope this is clear.

Last edited:
Understood, in our case we have family on the adjoining acreage who keeps a pretty close eye on our place. Even with that my brother in law heard a chainsaw running earlier this year on our place and walked back there to find two guys thinking they could just fall some of our trees.

Why would they want to risk life or limb tresspassing to cut some firewood ?

As far as stacking it in the field ? No, I've lost to much when it gets stacked. It is like an invitation for them to drive in and steal it. They have gone right past Mulberry laying on the ground in favor of stacked Cautalpa. The stack was high enough to be seen from the road, the rest was laying in the weeds. Theives are both lazy and efficient, get in and get out, usually.

Why would they want to risk life or limb tresspassing to cut some firewood ?
People who are thieves
People who are desperate thieves
People who cut and sell firewood to buy their drugs
People who cut firewood to trade for their drugs

Many people around there only have wood heat for their home and they don't have any wood on their property (oftentimes rentals)

People see a remote piece of heavily wooded property that appears to be "vacant" with no neighbors within eyesight.

People who drive down the road and see 20 acres with big for sale signs on it and assume that nobody will be around to see them if they go into the backside of the property. And then they cross over my fence assuming my acreage is part of the property that is for sale.

The same type of people who think it is ok to cut a hole in your fence so they can:
- ride their atv on your property
- camp on your property
- hunt on your property

etc....

Best I can probably do is to try and position the pile near the east edge of the field where it will be shielded from view from the road, but where my brother inlaw and his wife can see it as they go to and from work on our private road.

Last edited:
I agree that theft will happen ,sooner or later. One thing to consider is the length of time your wood will be stacked to length. It may be best to store it log length and cut later, rather that give a thief an easy target. Smaller legths will obviously season quicker and potentialy decay beyond use.

Do it like Nailsbeats. Leave the long logs. Stacked near the relative side of the property.

DSCN2278.jpg

Latest posts

Back