Rigging a spar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Nothing big or exciting, but still had to be done right to stop any of the logs escaping and rolling down the hill into the house. Steve has a 1.5 ton Tirfor Winch set on the hill for pulling the logs. I didn’t think footage would be worthy of a video but upon playing it back it actually looked passable. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60kSkXlglQA

Aww, you cut it short but I cracked up when the black lab came running up.

I see you are a fan of using a timber hitch on your butt hitches. You seem to take extra good care of the ropes. Does it come out of your pocket all that gear? Who the hell is in charge over there anyway if you know what I mean? Are you a contract guy or stay with one company or is that your company right there?
Looks real good but you know that handsome.:yourock:

you always display the best vids. keep them coming. you are an excellent climber with great understanding of rigging situations. I love the go big or go home style.

questions

why two blocks on one piece of wood on edges of the log instead of one in the middle? if production is the key, would you still use two?

is your tenex sling a fixed length or an adjustable whoopie sling? I dislike trying to adjust one nice and tight to the spar. two would drive me nuts. but maybe I am missing something

do you always double wrap your line on each rig?

my questions are loaded to decifer between what is safer or excessive.

again, you rock! keep it up!

Thanks

Dan, the rigging is mine and I am a contract climber/worker. Most of the companies I work with either don’t have the gear or don’t look after it.

why two blocks on one piece of wood on edges of the log instead of one in the middle? if production is the key, would you still use two?

is your tenex sling a fixed length or an adjustable whoopie sling? I dislike trying to adjust one nice and tight to the spar. two would drive me nuts. but maybe I am missing something

do you always double wrap your line on each rig?

John, the load sharing of the two blocks, slings and lines means that I can take heavier wood, with twice the security and half the wear on the equipment. This becomes far more relevant as you near the ground and the stopping distance for the log increasingly becomes less…..I have scorched, melted and so reduced the lifespan of many a rigging line in the past when faced with such a scenario. Having said that, its still extra work so you have to make the logs count, otherwise it’s probably not worth it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiqK8z_4GyM

The blocks are set at the edge so they don’t bang together when the log falls.

Those slings are 1-inch double braid: http://www.honeybros.com/gbu0-prodshow/HB91QA.html matched with a ¾ line. Perhaps ¾ slings + 5/8 lines would have been more suitable and certainly easier to tie.

I usually use a half hitch finished with a TimberH or Running Bowline on heavy stuff. This of course means the logs will fall a little further with the extra stretch, but provides better security and takes the sting out of the load by the time it reaches the termination knot.

Great lesson Reg, Thanks for posting. Just watching your video has me thinking I am going to start treating the groundies as nice as you do but the dogs have gotta go.

Latest posts

Back