Rigging biner fail

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a zeppelin bend usually with a stick in the middle. But in this case I just thought "eff it, link em with a biner" and this happened. I have had trouble in the past untying jammed zeppelin bend.

My skid loader. It's just weird how it distort like that from an overload. It's rated for 56 kilo newtons.

1 Kn weighs about 225 lbs so the beener is rated for around 12k lbs. But that is for a straight load with no shock and little movement. What were you doing?

Like I said: there are knots that are made to slip loose, no matter how tight you pull them. I have broken 1/2" stable braid, but the holding knot still falls apart in my hands. If a carabiner works for you, just keep using it. Myself, I will do without, using a knot that needs no biner.

I did it just yesterday: we had a 400lb (or more) log right by the gutter of a house. Rigged a pulley to lift it away when cut loose. I attached the port-a-wrap to the bumper using my hi pressure knot on a tenex sling, then I put the bull rope on the port-a-wrap. The angle it was lifting at dictated that we pull the line pretty tight to get enough lift. Maybe more time was involved than necessary to rig it that way, but there was no chance of failure, no chance of breaking any equipment.

It took me a whole 30 seconds to untie it all.

What knot? I'll try it if I don't know it. I have tried all the standards and I seem to be able to get them pretty freakin tight! If your knot is quicker, I am down wit it. All about speed.

Last edited:
Ok. I'll look it up.

It isn't tied fast, but it is very simple. It is just a series of 1/2 hitches spaced out about a foot between each loop, through which you pass the tail of the rope. Believe it or not, it won't choke down EVER, and it is always just finger tight when unloaded. You can pull the rope so hard it breaks, but it will never bind.

Back