Rigging down an Elm, some pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one with the hard hat of course!

Nice pix, .bmp pic files are largest usually even in 16 color, 256 colors, let alone the newer 24 bit and up .bmp's.

So in sending on net, will have better luck with .jpg as they are smaller file for same pic, some times 100x xmaller (than 24 bit .bmp files), .gifs are also smaller.

i think .jpg's have become standard somewhat.
(JPEG's = Joint Photographic Experts Group)

Last edited:
Sorry you had to use such a puny little white toy there rob...

I figgered as much, bein' psyphic and all, so I sent an extra hopped up saw to ya along with the ZingIt.

Just put me in yer will......

Nice pics!!! Awesome tree, shame about the possible skullduggery.

In one of the pics, were you swinging then free dropping that long side leader? That is what it looks like, but i can't see the LZ.

Is that a hard hat shy koala under the tree?

Rob, you need a GRCS. With he winch you could have done stuff like pick up that entire stem in the hand billy pic; hinged it up to the rigging point and then lower it down easy.

I've used it to pull big dead elms compleatly over, a few silver maples and box elders too.

Re: Hey Rob,

Originally posted by rich hoffman
When I click on your first attachment, I get a download that is an etch-o-sketch of sorts. I'd like to have this on my PC. How do I get it??? Thanx, Rich.

It's MicroSoft Paint. If you are running Windows, click the Start button lower left. Go to Programs>Accessories>paint.
It's for playing around with Bitmap images.

Originally posted by Mike Maas
Rob,
In the jpg called rob & lyn winching, is there a pedestrian walking under you, while you have notch cut and two guys winching the limb?!?!
Wow that explains the body!! Guess I'll have to hand these photos to the Coroner....
I really don't know what it is ...a shadow.....a large stub....????

Rog
Thanks for the Zing it , it actually does make a zzziiiinnnggg sound.
Most of the Elm was taken by a sculpturer?? The lady who owned the tree will get something back in the garden.

JPS
I was quoted $8000.00 AUS for GRCS from my Vemeer Dealer!!! we are looking at our options.

WOW!!! What type of tarrifs are there!

I looked up current exchange rates, 1 USD = 1.82156 AUD. So 2,500.00 USD=4,553.91 AUD.

Sean, what could Sherrill do here?

Rob,
Before I start making some calls, are you absolutely sure they said $8,000? If so, please let me know, so I can look into it. Also, which Vermeer dealer was it, there are several in Australia? Please email me directly to speed up the process. Thanks.
-Sean

MsPaint will also (besides the 4 .bmp evolutions), will also handle .jpg and .gif files. i've used it a lot.

i have best luck with .jpg on here, .bmp's are a lot larger for the same picture (10x?). i will usually create, manipulate, print etc. in 24bit .bmp, then save a second finale copy as a .jpg for posting/emailing where .bmps' sizes are sometimes restrictive, or undeliverable.

You can use it on drawings, camera shots, downloaded pictures etc. saved in any of these popular formats (.bmp,.jpg,.gif).

Latest posts

Back