Rigging Line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spin101

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking into buying a rigging line and was wondering if some of you could give me some ideas as to what line would be the best for my money. Is a 1/2" too big? I would like something with a high breaking strength but not to heavy. What do you all sugest?

For rigging . . . at least 1/2".
Get a copy of Sherrill's catalog and read the different traits/descriptions of each rope.

I usualy use a samson 1/2 inch with an average test of 8,000. but I also have 3/4 with a 22,000# test. look at your application.

I was looking at a husky line. i believe its 5/8 doublebraid. Any one ever used husky much. Pros/Cons???

I've got 200' of Samson 9/16 stable braid. Used it on Friday to rig a casuarina takedown. It's very flexible, easy to tie and not too heavy. I'd go with a known brand that can verify their quality.

Specs from Samson:
Weight is 11lbs per 100'.
Minimum breaking strain is 13,300lbs
Working load is 1330lbs

The husky double braid 5/8 is a nylon core rope , so it will have more stretch than 100% polyester rope. It is rated @ 18,000 lbs

Like extra said, at least half inch. I use a 150' around 8,000 pounds strength, and a 160' five eigths, I think twenty thousand. Stable braid. For back up I keep a 100' one inch line also. I think they're all Samson. Color code with a plan, I use orange or blue for climbing, white or red for pulling and lowering. extremetree has a good idea with the 9 sixteenths, I may try that next time, the five eights is clumsy for some groundies to handle. If I ever need an inch and a half I'll probably refer the job to someone else.

thanks guys i'm looking into the samson stable braid. i think the 9/16 will be just what i need for now. thanks

I use 3/4" and 1" lengths from American Arborist in West Chester, PA for general lowering. They have held up well. Info on the 3/4" follows:

3/4'' Three Strand 600' Coil
SKU R180151-60
Average Tensile : 10,500 lbs
Color : White w/orange tracer
Construction : Twist
Diameter : 3¼4 in
Number of Strands : 3
Shipping Weight : 87 lbs
Tensile Strength : 10500
Weight : 13.7 lbs for 100 ft, 87 lbs for 600 ft

woodchux said:
The husky double braid 5/8 is a nylon core rope , so it will have more stretch than 100% polyester rope. It is rated @ 18,000 lbs
and it rocks best buy for the buck

pigwot said:
I use 3/4" and 1" lengths from American Arborist in West Chester, PA for general lowering. They have held up well. Info on the 3/4" follows:

3/4'' Three Strand 600' Coil
SKU R180151-60
Average Tensile : 10,500 lbs
Color : White w/orange tracer
Construction : Twist
Diameter : 3¼4 in
Number of Strands : 3
Shipping Weight : 87 lbs
Tensile Strength : 10500
Weight : 13.7 lbs for 100 ft, 87 lbs for 600 ft
3/4 triple strand?

jmack said:

3/4 triple strand?

Back when I started I learned from oldtimers. They only used triple strand natural fiber ropes for climbing and lowering. When I started getting synthetic ropes (mid 1980's) I guess I gravitated to the same design in lowering ropes. The first climbing rope I used was Samson Arborplex (polyester over polyolefin) and I never liked it. It was relegated to use as a utility line. Next I bought the Safety Blue and have gone through a number of 600' reels of that.

pigwot said:
jmack said:

3/4 triple strand?

Back when I started I learned from oldtimers. They only used triple strand natural fiber ropes for climbing and lowering. When I started getting synthetic ropes (mid 1980's) I guess I gravitated to the same design in lowering ropes. The first climbing rope I used was Samson Arborplex (polyester over polyolefin) and I never liked it. It was relegated to use as a utility line. Next I bought the Safety Blue and have gone through a number of 600' reels of that.
10-4 oldtimer, arborplex i hate with a passion true blue is the second heaviest 1/2 inch around

spin101 said:
I was looking at a husky line. i believe its 5/8 doublebraid. Any one ever used husky much. Pros/Cons???
its good 5/8 at 18,000 cheaper and stronger than another brand

rebelman said:
Like extra said, at least half inch. I use a 150' around 8,000 pounds strength, and a 160' five eigths, I think twenty thousand. Stable braid. For back up I keep a 100' one inch line also. I think they're all Samson. Color code with a plan, I use orange or blue for climbing, white or red for pulling and lowering. extremetree has a good idea with the 9 sixteenths, I may try that next time, the five eights is clumsy for some groundies to handle. If I ever need an inch and a half I'll probably refer the job to someone else.

5/8 stable braid is 15,500 tensile.....

I use Arborplex for light rigging, cause its cheap...kinda stiff, hard to knot, but it works.

Have, 1/2, 9/16, 3/4 inch poly double braid (Puget Sound Ropes, which I get super cheap from my fishery supplier). and 9/16th DSComposite, which is 19k tensile, full static spectra core, near zero stretch....the bomb for GRCS lifting.

Never heard of Husky rope...is it polyester, and low stretch, which is best suited for tree work? Haven't used three strand in years....still have some old ones in the shop.

Puget sound ropes are junk discount lines. You're a pro Roger, stop using crap rigging. You'll kill someone one day. SAMSON my man or nothin!:chainsaw:

Back