Rigging Line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That be the truth.

You should take that line that failed to Ben and have him test it....methinx he'd laugh if you told him it is junk rope....the parent company, Cortland Cable, makes products for space travel that have to meet specifications to the letter.....

The use that we've subjected the DSComposite to has been serious. And it, like the others I have, have performed well and are wearing well. You still never told me why you think it is bad, except that it failed at a knot..and yes, Ben agrees that it would be better to have it spliced.

Wonder if you also know that Samson's published tensile strengths are for peak breakages, whereas, PSR uses a lower, more conservative averge breaking strength....

So old dogs do learn new tricks. I'm sure I'll still use the soft lay, three strand twist ropes for lighter-duty, natural crotch lowering, but for more technical stuff I do need to get some proper rigging lines. Seems Samson stable braid is the most common rigging line used in this area. I am intrigued by the construction/materials/ and the 'conservative' rating of the Puget Sound rope. See their info at:
http://www.thecortlandcompanies.com/psrope/indexct.asp
I emailed **** Kilburn at Puget Sound Ropes, and he directed me to: Kyle at Doran Sling in NJ, phone 908-355-5544. Before I contact him, I thought I'd ask here for more input.
So considering a double braid, low stretch line (5/8), How would you compare a few ropes,like the:
1. DSComposite (5/8" Polyester over Spectra, 24.6K minimum tensile strength),
2. Samason stable braid (5/8" 100% polyester,16.3K Breaking strength),
3. Husky 12 strand (5/8" Polyester over nylon, 15K break strength)
4. <fill in your favorite here> ?
Now I know everyone has their biases, based upon what they have used to date... And, I know we see things from the experiences related to our specific uses ( bush, residential technical lowering, holding up that hammock cause you're on arboristsite so much you never actually work in the field any longer...), so where do we find side-by-side comparison information?

pigwot, the DSComposite is a spectra core line, so is only suited for lifting or pulling, as it has near zero stretch. (3% at 40% of tensile is 1/3 what normal poly double braid has) PSRopes' "polyester double braid" is the equivalant of stable braid. Characteristics and ratings are very similar. Construction quality is excellent. That said, I respect p woozel's opinions, as he is a straight shooter, and knows his gear and rigging better than most!

pigwot said:
So old dogs do learn new tricks. I'm sure I'll still use the soft lay, three strand twist ropes for lighter-duty, natural crotch lowering, but for more technical stuff I do need to get some proper rigging lines. Seems Samson stable braid is the most common rigging line used in this area. I am intrigued by the construction/materials/ and the 'conservative' rating of the Puget Sound rope. See their info at:
http://www.thecortlandcompanies.com/psrope/indexct.asp
I emailed **** Kilburn at Puget Sound Ropes, and he directed me to: Kyle at Doran Sling in NJ, phone 908-355-5544. Before I contact him, I thought I'd ask here for more input.
So considering a double braid, low stretch line (5/8), How would you compare a few ropes,like the:
1. DSComposite (5/8" Polyester over Spectra, 24.6K minimum tensile strength),
2. Samason stable braid (5/8" 100% polyester,16.3K Breaking strength),
3. Husky 12 strand (5/8" Polyester over nylon, 15K break strength)
4. <fill in your favorite here> ?
Now I know everyone has their biases, based upon what they have used to date... And, I know we see things from the experiences related to our specific uses ( bush, residential technical lowering, holding up that hammock cause you're on arboristsite so much you never actually work in the field any longer...), so where do we find side-by-side comparison information?
thanks fer the info yer man is off on the husky 5/8 by all gear its 18,000 its the only reason i tried it.

rbtree: was just scanning an old thread (2002) on lowering devices, and saw this from your keyboard:
"Being as I'm a gear head, I'd love a GRCS, but would need to justify the cost. Just not enough real uses out here in conifer country."
Times sure change our outlook, eh?
So spectra core /w no stretch is a good static line for a grcs, guess i'm looking for a double braid polyester lowering line first until I can afford the grcs...

I use samson static kernmantle for rigging. My Half inch 200 foot weighs only 14 pounds. , 9100 tensile. I always rig small , no more than 600 lbs. I use the poison ivy hi vis for my safety line , also a kernmantle.

rbtree said:
That be the truth.

Wonder if you also know that Samson's published tensile strengths are for peak breakages, whereas, PSR uses a lower, more conservative averge breaking strength....

Sorry RBtree, the numbers Samson publishes is indeed the Average strength, like it requires in the Z133.1 ANSI Safety Standard for Arborists.

Back