Rigging Whole Trees with the GRCS - Presented by TreeStuff.com

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The double tree rig system is great. If there are trees near to use. Usually just one tree close. Use whats available. In large removals and storm work the GRC shines. Which is time and money. I still see crews with no portawrap. Go figure! To each there own.

I been rigging whole trees for years without grcs besides My 20 ton winch is better lol :monkey:

One thing this practice will sure shorten the ropes life.

Looks like it would be handy for very small diameter pines that are really tall, and located in a tight drop zone.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I feel this sort of promotional material - basically advertising under the thin veil of some marginally interesting/possibly slightly educational for new guys type posting doesn't really belong in the commercial tree care and climbing forum. There's been similar inroads made in the F&L forum by treestuff also, which has been received with mixed feelings. A precedent is being set.

I certainly appreciate treestuff's sponsorship, and I spend my $ with sponsors wherever I can. Not just as a way of showing my appreciation, but I feel that people who sponsor this site often go the extra mile with customer service, and generally have a good understanding of the products they're selling and understand the industry also.

I think there's a line somewhere though, but I can't say where it is. My personal feeling is that this sort of post really belongs in the treestuff forum, or possibly in the tree videos forum. If you do allow this sort of posting to be done, regularly, where does it stop? advertising in between each post as some sites have? Compulsory 'watch advertisement before posting' stuff like youtube has? There are some sponsors who post in regular threads as a response to people, offering help... and that sort of thing I find really encouraging to see. I've received some helpful information from one of the sponsors here (was it global equipment? the heavy equipment seller) which is certainly welcome. This sort of post is a bit of a different thing though. I'd be interested in hearing what the general consensus is.

Shaun

I thought it was a good, short, informative video. There isn't anything really anything more interesting that people are talking about over here. Or is there? Guide me to that thread. most of the threads at arborisite are about people calling eachother names. I pretty much stop reading a thread after the original post because pretty much every thread devolves into a hater fest. What do you want people to talk about? Good lord, now im getting all negative. its contagious. So... Props to Nick for taking the time to make a video showing how he does things. I personally love my grcs and can't imagine how I used to do tree work without it.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I feel this sort of promotional material - basically advertising under the thin veil of some marginally interesting/possibly slightly educational for new guys type posting doesn't really belong in the commercial tree care and climbing forum. There's been similar inroads made in the F&L forum by treestuff also, which has been received with mixed feelings. A precedent is being set.

I certainly appreciate treestuff's sponsorship, and I spend my $ with sponsors wherever I can. Not just as a way of showing my appreciation, but I feel that people who sponsor this site often go the extra mile with customer service, and generally have a good understanding of the products they're selling and understand the industry also.

I think there's a line somewhere though, but I can't say where it is. My personal feeling is that this sort of post really belongs in the treestuff forum, or possibly in the tree videos forum. If you do allow this sort of posting to be done, regularly, where does it stop? advertising in between each post as some sites have? Compulsory 'watch advertisement before posting' stuff like youtube has? There are some sponsors who post in regular threads as a response to people, offering help... and that sort of thing I find really encouraging to see. I've received some helpful information from one of the sponsors here (was it global equipment? the heavy equipment seller) which is certainly welcome. This sort of post is a bit of a different thing though. I'd be interested in hearing what the general consensus is.

Shaun
I see what yur sayin, maybe more appropriate in the 101 section.

most of the threads at arboristsite are about people calling eachother names.

Them's fighting words! :givebeer:

I've always respected and admired the effort you put into the industry, your work ethic, and the contributions you make online (mostly at other forums!). I hear what you're saying too, and this place would be a better place if more guys like you posted more often here. People do need a to lay off some steam though too, and I guess this place kind of reflects how it's like to work in the industry. It isn't always the most supportive work environment, and you've got to go through a lot of punishment and suffering to get a little nugget of info ;-)

Shaun

Them's fighting words! :givebeer:

I've always respected and admired the effort you put into the industry, your work ethic, and the contributions you make online (mostly at other forums!). I hear what you're saying too, and this place would be a better place if more guys like you posted more often here. People do need a to lay off some steam though too, and I guess this place kind of reflects how it's like to work in the industry. It isn't always the most supportive work environment, and you've got to go through a lot of punishment and suffering to get a little nugget of info ;-)

Shaun

True, it takes a thick skin to be a tree worker!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. The video is not meant as in your face advertising content. Like any movie there are credits and since TreeStuff makes it possible to produce the content they get their due. Just like the Fox Searchlight Intro, Universal Pictures Intro, and the Disney Intro (to name a few of the hundreds of examples).

Fox Searchlight Intro 1080p 3D - YouTube
Universal Pictures Intro HD 1080p - YouTube
Walt Disney Movie Intro (HD) - YouTube
(all three of which are almost twice the length of the 16 second Treestuff intro)

Beyond the opening and closing credits the focus of my productions has been,and will always be, on quality technique and innovations in equipment.

If the consensus is that the videos shouldnt be in the Commercial forum, then wherever the membership thinks they fit best works for me.

I really appreciate everyone watching and contributing their thoughts. Not all video content can address everyone, some of the audience will invariably be extremely familiar with demonstrated techniques but we should remember that at the same time there are assuredly people that havent seen techniques and methods of the sort.

It takes a lot of time and effort to produce a video, and in most cases there isnt any 'take 2' in the filming. I can only show what we actually did. I am a working arborist, not a salaried video maker. I enjoy taking the time to document and craft the storytelling using video and I truly hope that everyone enjoys watching it. Thanks for your time!

Nick

Wherever you decide to place videos like this is fine with me, just please let me know.

For the last 30 plus years I thought I was supposed to climb as high as I dared in trees like that and let 20 foot tops rip down past my shoulder as they spear into the ground. I don’t feel dumb but, I am glad to be learning some new tricks.

I always attempt to set the block in the tree so it will not put four times the force on the crotch. And 2 times the weight on supporting line. This is not Always possible because of tight crotches or hard isolations. I have used a leather tube cambium saver before and that can be useful for this. I have not burned one but i suppose it could be very possible. There are also rigging rings which can be set from the ground. Piggybacking the pulleys is sort of the last option for me but many times it is the Only option. Dry crotching is really terrible for the tree being rigged off of. Even the supporting line in the video can tear up the crotch if there is any kind of flex in the tree. It can cause significant long term damage.

Again taking ropes to four times working load limits is not a good practice so this trick is best suited for use on hung snags or where a hazard exists for a climber to piece out smaller. I think making these type productions without explaining the whole picture could mislead some unfortunate soul into thinking this should be every day practice.

Not teaching because the information might be misused is a bad reason to not teach or share. It was a perfectly good technique for the tree being hung in this video. If somebody approached a tree like nick did where everything was within working loads its a good option to know. Can you make a video that demonstrates another technique? There are many good options I'm sure. I would love to learn other methods. Next time I am hanging a tree I will try to film how I solve the problem that particular day.

Latest posts

Back