Right Saw/Right Job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary N Carter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I am a want a be in your serious world.I just joined today so I thought I would ask the question. I use Husky 42 and 246's for light limbing. A 262XP for power limbing and light felling. Following with a 371XP,281XP and a 288XP lite for felling and bucking. I just purchased an echo 3400 to try some up in the tree work. Right now for me this is a hobby but I have always felt there is the right saw for the right job. Is this correct?

Yeah, welcome Gary. That 246 will be great for fruit trees. It has very high RPM's, which are great for crotches. Good collection for a novice. You cant have enough saws.

welcome gary - i think you are instantly more of a member than most of us with your collection. Especially since they are almost exclusively huskies - glad to get fellow husky owners here!! i should say that it raises the average iq of the whole forum - but i wouldnt say that cos darin will hate me and edit my posts again:)

Nahh, I wont edit them unless they need editing. I dont mind your opinions unless they are directed towards other members. Obviously they have to be bad. Darin:D

Last edited by a moderator:
wheres that new moderator when you need him. He must own the off breed funny looking orange wanabe saws also.

Years ago when Echo first came out with the 3000/3400, I thought it would be a good climbing saw but didn't think much of Echo's saw reputation at the time. I liked their other 2-cycle stuff though. So I waited and kept my eyes open to see what other climbers were using. Within a couple years, I had seen quite a few Echos in trees and the climbers seemed to be happy with them. I still wanted an 020T (until I used one for a couple months) but I went ahead and bought a 3000. It was the best move I ever made. I later replaced it with a 3400 and have run 3400's ever since. They are hard to beat for the money, and I prefer them over the more expensive climbing saws.
And I am a little more than a 'weekend warrier', I have over 150 crane removals under my belt. 15 years trimming and removal experience, 12 years full time. :cool:

Well Monkeypuzzle figured me out, I am going to have to get these new members to be a little more subtle when they come in:)

Latest posts

Back