Rim or Spur, what's most common?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For as long as I've known the difference I've assumed that rim sprockets were the modern option. So I ordered a clutch drum with the spline drive for an 028 I was fixing, assuming I would just fit the existing rim sprocket I'd taken off another 028. Oh no, no, no, no, no. The sprocket was Stihl OEM and the new clutch drum is Oregon. Spline is too big for the sprocket, so off I go to my Stihl dealer thinking I would have to just pick up a sprocket to suit.

No such luck. I get "Oh that's the old type, most saws use the spur type these days". The guy makes enquiries and tell me 2-3 weeks for one ordered direct from Oregon and it's twice the price I'd normally pay! No thanks I say.

The main niggle I have is that I have a nice brand new 20" Stihl bar and chain in 3/8 ready to go on this saw, but if I want to put them on it I'd have to shelve the new clutch drum, which I may never have need of again, and buy a new 3/8 spur type.

I thought that most people preferred the rim type as these didn't necessitate the replacement of the clutch drum? Am I wrong or is it just over here?

I am not sure about old type or new type but the rim type clutches are used on the upper end saws and spurs are used on the lower end stuff. Sounds to me like your problem is trying to mix Oregon and Stihl rims and clutches. Stihl clutches require Stihl rims. Oregon clutches need Oregon rims (or other aftermaret rims made to fit Oregon such as Carlton)

I installed a Oregon rim kit on a 028 with 3/8 .050 chain and the cutters hit the bar plates, I had to make spacers out of a pair of old bar plates to get clearance. it uses the small rim from Oregon, not Stihl.
it now works fine.
if you get rims for 3/8 and .325 then you can switch bars.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Can you just buy an Oregon sprocket to fit? I've never had a problem with fit.

Yes, I can get it, but they quoted 2-3 weeks! Sounds to me like it would have to come from Canada.

On the up side, I've just received a box of NOS Stihl parts I got on Ebay, it had a few rim sprockets in it and I found a 3/8 one that fits, so I will be putting the nice new Stihl bar and chain on it.:D

Latest posts

Back