Rim sprocket longevity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnybar

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Are there any significant differences in sprocket durability between Stihl, Oregon, Chinese and anyone else making .325 6 & 7 and 3/8 7 & 8?

From what I've seen, Stihl sprockets last just a tad longer than Oregon and other brands.

To get more longevity from a rim sprocket, make sure your chain tension is correct, and your chain is getting enough oil.

The best sprockets I've seen so far are made by "6Kproducts", they are supposed to be heat treated for longevity. Yes, they are pricey, but they last. They can be ordered through Madsens, or found under "rocket sprocket" or "Danzco rim" on eBay. (Madsens is cheaper than eBay.)

Wow...guess that change sprockets every few chains thing is overkill or was that for spurs that may be harder on chains than rims?

I'm not endorsing my practice but I have wore out a bunch of chains, my other 036 has a spur which is probably even older but it will get the upgrade bearing and sprocket in the near future. Did not like the dealers price when I asked about one

My guess is Oregon makes Stihl sprockets for them. I'll say this, recently I had 10 Chinese sprockets delivered to my door for $18au and a single rim from my steal dealer is $33au. I've found the new China sprockets a lot better quality unlike a few years ago. Its a simple choice now given the quality & fit/finish of the AM sprockets is so close to OEM. I get a lot of wood cut with a 10pack of AM rims.

Blount made sprockets for many OEM saws including Stihl. I'm pretty sure they still do. Stihl is sneaky though and came up with its own stupid spline size 'micro' which is slightly smaller than regular small spline. There was no real reason for this other than to force customers to buy sprockets from dealers as they have intellectual rights on its design. Blount makes them and is contracted to only produce them for Stihl dealers and not distribute them anywhere else. I hate it when Stihl does shi tt y stuff like that. But their in the business to make money and are good at doing so.

I'm going to try and be a kinder, gentler saw owner and change rims more often...LOL. Seriously I think I'm stretching new chains lots faster that I would be if I used fresh rims cause pitch changes as sprockets wear. And when pitches don't jive...chains stretch. Think I'll go with the AM 10 pack for each size I use. Might as well pick up an extra drum plus a few bearings and E clips while I'm at it all for the price of one OEM rim.

i've gone through alot of rims. oregon and stihl rims are the only ones i use. everything else is to hit and miss. i thought the GB's were a good buy at a dollar a piece and they probably are still but they do a ****** job making them round and i have found many will cause added vibrations which no saw needs. look at the cheaper rims close and they look like they were ground with an angle grinder and then smoothed out lol rims is not something i skimp on anymore.

The AM sprockets I got 3 years ago were horrid! Some would not fit over the splines due to poor production. The ones I've bought recently have been very good. Actually look like a much higher quality rim with as good tolerances as OEM. They seem to wear at a similar rate to OEM too. I cannot speak for every AM rim out there but the last 10 pack of 3/8 & .404 were great.

The AM sprockets I got 3 years ago were horrid! Some would not fit over the splines due to poor production. The ones I've bought recently have been very good. Actually look like a much higher quality rim with as good tolerances as OEM. They seem to wear at a similar rate to OEM too. I cannot speak for every AM rim out there but the last 10 pack of 3/8 & .404 were great.
How were they marked in the casting? Who was the dealer?

I like the Oregon PowerMate, but the Carlton sprocket seems fine too.

I have a never used Archer sprocket, 3/8" drive links won't seat into it, 3/8" LowProfile oddly will.
Clearly I will never buy a Archer sprocket again considering it cost almost as much as a PowerMate.

FYI, I recently wore out a TriLink loop on a PowerMate sprocket that already wore out two Dolmar 099 loops.
The sprockets wear marks can still be seen, but I will not use this sprocket for another loop as the clutch drum spline got dimples from the drive links tangs bottoming out.

So far I tend to wear out two quality chains on a PowerMate.
These partially worn sprockets will now be used to drive the TriLink loops that I got.

From what I've seen, Stihl sprockets last just a tad longer than Oregon and other brands.

To get more longevity from a rim sprocket, make sure your chain tension is correct, and your chain is getting enough oil.

The best sprockets I've seen so far are made by "6Kproducts", they are supposed to be heat treated for longevity. Yes, they are pricey, but they last. They can be ordered through Madsens, or found under "rocket sprocket" or "Danzco rim" on eBay. (Madsens is cheaper than eBay.)

As it looks to me the Oregon and the Stihl rims are exactly the same thing, when the pitch, inner diameter (spline size) and number of "pins" is - and I stay with those brands when possible (it always have been so far). I have read more negative than I like about GB rims, and will of course stay away from any Chinese (or "no-name") ones.

How many chains a rim will last for does of course vary with how the chains are used and maintained, and also with how long they are.

Latest posts

Back