Rim Wear Limits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rleonard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
For my saws (066, 046), I keep replacement chain drive rings. OF course I will replace when worn but how worn is worn? There is probably .020 deep marks on the rim now and I cannot recall when I changed it last. Is it time to swap or can they go more. Any detrimental effects of this lite wear pattern?

Bob

It sounds like you should swap them out, especially since you can't remember when they were last changed. Once they start to show more than very slight wear, the pitch of the sprocket begins to change. This in turn can beat up the drivers of your chain, causing wear on the chain. For the price of a rim sprocket, replace them if in doubt as to their condition, or when you notice significant wear. The longer you run a worn sprocket, the more it beats up your chain. Swap the sprocket now before your chain is shot as well.

Should you replace the chain too? What happens when you put a new sprocket on a worn chain? Does the worn chain increase wear on the new sprocket? How about a new chain on a worn sprocket? Does the worn sprocket increase wear on the new chain?

IOW since the chain and sprocket wear together I don't understand what good it does to replace one without the other. The difference in pitch between new and worn parts will cause increased friction and wear on the new part right?
The only time I install a new rim is when I put on a new chain.

ditto

ol'homey said:
Should you replace the chain too? What happens when you put a new sprocket on a worn chain? Does the worn chain increase wear on the new sprocket? How about a new chain on a worn sprocket? Does the worn sprocket increase wear on the new chain?

IOW since the chain and sprocket wear together I don't understand what good it does to replace one without the other. The difference in pitch between new and worn parts will cause increased friction and wear on the new part right?
The only time I install a new rim is when I put on a new chain.
I would agree with you 100 percent, new chain new sprocket,

Oregon says 1/64 of an inch is the limit for wear. They also reccomend the cycle 1 new sprocket per 2 new chains, but swapping the chains back and forth through the life of the sprocket. Hell, I run enough different bars and chains on my saws that I can't really do that very well, so I just replace the sprockets more often.

Thanks for the replies guys. It's time to put the new one on. I rotate about 5 chains so I cannot hold to the 2 new chain - new sprocket rule. I just try to keep everything in good shape and maintained.

Bob

Back